Upgrade from 60 Hz to a 120 Hz?

Purks

Hi guys, 

Do you think it is worth it to upgrade to a 120 Hz+ monitor (currently on 60 Hz)? [@ 1080p]

I'm running on gtx 580s sli, 2600k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 gb ram and 128 agility 4 ssd, asus p8z68v pro.

I've been looking at it for a while and have read quite a few things about the benefits, but I just wonder what other people think?

Personally, I think that putting your money toward a 1440p IPS panel monitor would be better, even with the 5ms response time, its hard to tell the difference and there is virtually no ghosting that you can see.

What is your budget?

i7 3770 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus GTX 780 | Corsair H100i | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W | Obsidian 650D | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

It definitely is awesome once your eyes get used to viewing in 120hz. The real question is do your cards give you around 120fps in the games you play? If not then it isn't worth it in my opinion.

Well, if with your current settings you can run the games at over 60 fps, the difference will be visible, so i say go for it!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Cheers for the replies guys! I don't really have a budget at the moment- it was a more of a see what people think and go from there, the 120 hz monitors go for around £250ish in the UK, so I would say not much more than that. I was looking at some of the BenQ monitors. 

And with the 580s and the 2600k I do get well over 60 fps in most games - there are only a small handful that I don't (thats with out taking off AA etc..).

I too am thinking about this... 

Mainly because Frankieonpcin1080p said that in fps, it really helps to improve your aim.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I too am thinking about this... 

Mainly because Frankieonpcin1080p said that in fps, it really helps to improve your aim.

I saw that video too, it's what got me thinking... Then I watched a video from lvlcap, he made the point that with the faster refresh rate you see more things, things that you wouldn't have seen on a 60 Hz monitor.. (something along those lines).

Tied in with a spot of internet reading and hey presto I had an upgrade idea! 

I currently use a 2560x1440 Catleap monitor @120Hz and its about the best thing since sliced bread.

Before I owned a Samusng S27A950D 1920x1080 27" 120 Hz monitor.

Once you go 120Hz you can't go back to slow 60Hz ever again. Everything is so smooth it takes awhile to get used to. It's strange, you think 60Hz is normal because that's basically all we ever use on computers and TVs and then when you switch to 120Hz your mind is literally blown. You had no idea stuff was supposed to be this way. Not only that but you get zero screen tearing, and I mean never. It doesn't matter if you're only getting 50fps or 200fps, it's just not there.

If you play games you need a 120Hz monitor. Don't listen to people that say you can't tell a difference. People that say that have never seen a 120hz monitor. It's just them trying to justify not owning one or not being able to afford one.

I owned one of the best 1080p 120Hz monitors on the market and own the only 1440p 120hz monitor on the market. Believe me when I tell you it's absolutely worth it and you couldn't buy one soon enough.