How good is the A10-5800k for gaming and casual computing?

I have seen multiple benchmarks about the A10-5800k in both CPU and iGPU performance. The problem is... those benchmarks didn't really answer my questions. So I was hoping someone would give me their opinions on the APU and how it performs for them. Benchmark graphs for both the CPU and iGPU(mainly iGPU) would help a lot. Because I plan to use this CPU for a family computer so that my siblings or even my father can access this computer to play demanding games such as BF3 or MechWarrior Online on low graphics with decent frame rates. Or just use it casually.

That chip is pretty outdated, but it's still sufficient to game with.

"If you're going to use processor graphics the A10-5800K is the clear winner"

So yeah, it's decent. But it won't give you great performance, especially when paired with a discrete high-end GPU such as an HD 7850.

Hopefully this graph helps:

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/fusion/amd_a10_5800k_launch_review/index.php?p=11

So yes, it's the best really without an additional graphics card. It's the best onboard.

If you click next, you can also see the results in other games for the A10 5800K.

It will be fine for gaming on low settings. I would take all benchmarks for these processors with a pinch of salt, as there are other factors to consider such as RAM speed, which makes a massive difference with those APU's.

well in my frnd computer. a10-5800k is really not bad. because I play with a MW3 n MW BLACK OPS and mind u ur be blow away by the all high settings with a 30-45 frame rate playable.

That chip is pretty outdated, but it's still sufficient to game with.

"If you're going to use processor graphics the A10-5800K is the clear winner"

So yeah, it's decent. But it won't give you great performance, especially when paired with a discrete high-end GPU such as an HD 7850.

Hopefully this graph helps:

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/fusion/amd_a10_5800k_launch_review/index.php?p=11

So yes, it's the best really without an additional graphics card. It's the best onboard.

Thank you again Dim, those benchmarks helped

It will be fine for gaming on low settings. I would take all benchmarks for these processors with a pinch of salt, as there are other factors to consider such as RAM speed, which makes a massive difference with those APU's.
Yeah, I saw a guy doing a comparison between 1600Mhz RAM and 2133MHz ram and boy look at the difference

well in my frnd computer. a10-5800k is really not bad. because I play with a MW3 n MW BLACK OPS and mind u ur be blow away by the all high settings with a 30-45 frame rate playable.
In case you do not know, CoD games don't really demand a lot from your PC. But thanks for the info though

Yeah' date=' I saw a guy doing a comparison between 1600Mhz RAM and 2133MHz ram and boy look at the difference[/quote']

Yes, must have the same review can't remember exactly which one but yeah i think it was a bout 10% increase per jump in ram speed or something ridiculous

The irony of spending on high speed RAM for a mainstream CPU XD

It depends on what games you're playing, at what resolution, if the A10 is OC'd and what speed RAM you have. The A10-5800 is very dependent on a lot of other things. For instance, if you have 8gb 2133 DDR3 and your monitor is 1280x720 then A10 is a capable gaming iGPU. If you're talking about pairing it with 8gb 1333 DDR3 on a 1920x1080 monitor then no, a Radeon 7770 or GTX 650 Ti and an i3 or 965BE would be a better options. If you want to build an HTPC then the A10 is very good at it's job.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

It depends on what games you're playing, at what resolution, if the A10 is OC'd and what speed RAM you have. The A10-5800 is very dependent on a lot of other things. For instance, if you have 8gb 2133 DDR3 and your monitor is 1280x720 then A10 is a capable gaming iGPU. If you're talking about pairing it with 8gb 1333 DDR3 on a 1920x1080 monitor then no, a Radeon 7770 or GTX 650 Ti and an i3 or 965BE would be a better options. If you want to build an HTPC then the A10 is very good at it's job.
Yes I do plan to overclock both the CPU and iGPU and I plan to get at least 1866MHz RAM with a 1080p monitor. But as I said, this would be more of a family computer and a side gaming computer. Don't really want to invest all that much into it to be honest

I don't think it's worth it, from what I've seen the iGPU is notably weaker than even the HD6670 - which you can get for the same price alongside a SB Pentium or something. With the added memory costs in mind, I'm sure you could stretch for a G860 + HD7750 instead.

I don't think it's worth it, from what I've seen the iGPU is notably weaker than even the HD6670 - which you can get for the same price alongside a SB Pentium or something. With the added memory costs in mind, I'm sure you could stretch for a G860 + HD7750 instead.
Yeah see that's was was I was contemplating about for the longest time. I actually consider getting something like an Ivy i3 or an X4 965 BE with a GTX 660 to go with it. And the cost would be about $100-$200 USD more. But the value of it would be considerably higher. The main reason I considered the A10-5800k is that I didn't want to spend too much on a family computer. But after much thought, I think it would be best if I went for the Intel or AM3+ platform for the better upgrade path

Thing is, currently you can pick up a G530 + HD6670 for around 100 USD, which would be a better choice for a gaming + casual use PC, given the better GPU performance. Plus as I also said, an SB G860 + HD7750 would cost around 160 USD, which offers a substantial performance increase in games.

I have a A10-5800k in my computer and it is perfect for everything I use it for. I stream videos online and do light gaming. I get 80+ fps on TF2 with maxed graphics settings (yes I know this game is very old and not very demanding), but if you want to play BF3 I'd probably recommend going with an i3 and a decent graphics card.

I have a A10-5800k in my computer and it is perfect for everything I use it for. I stream videos online and do light gaming. I get 80+ fps on TF2 with maxed graphics settings (yes I know this game is very old and not very demanding), but if you want to play BF3 I'd probably recommend going with an i3 and a decent graphics card.
To be fair, TF2 is a game made in 2007, It wouldn't surprise me if you got 80 frames with max settings. And yeah the i3 is tempting

If you're going to be playing modern titles then even something like an i3-2100 or Phenom II x4 965BE and a Radeon 7770 would pack a lot more punch. The A10 is an outstanding mobile CPU & iGPU for laptops in the $550-$700 range but for desktop gaming, I can't recommend it, especially not at 1920x1080.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

If you're going to be playing modern titles then even something like an i3-2100 or Phenom II x4 965BE and a Radeon 7770 would pack a lot more punch. The A10 is an outstanding mobile CPU & iGPU for laptops in the $550-$700 range but for desktop gaming, I can't recommend it, especially not at 1920x1080.
I see, well thanks for the information. I will take that into consideration when I build the family PC =)

Just for the record:

I have an i3-3220 + HD 7770 and i get about 40-45 fps on BFBC2 on 1080p, Highest settings and 4x MSAA

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

what i would do, is i would buy an A8-5600K and try to play my own games on it. If there is not enough power, i would buy a descrete graphics card like an 7750 or a 7770. You just don't get a good value with a 6670.

Fact: If you want to play games, always spend over 100$ for a graphics card. If you don't play Battlefield or other graphic, you can get an A10.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

This is a great processor. I would recommend it if you're on a budget or if you just want to do casual computing and decent gaming. But if you have the money, you should spend around $100 more and get a i3 with a decent graphics card such as a 6770. If you decide to do that, your pc should be much faster and have better performance.

This is a great processor. I would recommend it if you're on a budget or if you just want to do casual computing and decent gaming. But if you have the money, you should spend around $100 more and get a i3 with a decent graphics card such as a 6770. If you decide to do that, your pc should be much faster and have better performance.
Fair enough, I will keep that in mind

what i would do, is i would buy an A8-5600K and try to play my own games on it. If there is not enough power, i would buy a descrete graphics card like an 7750 or a 7770. You just don't get a good value with a 6670.

Fact: If you want to play games, always spend over 100$ for a graphics card. If you don't play Battlefield or other graphic, you can get an A10.

Well the thing is, the A10-5800k and all those below it GREATLY bottleneck discrete GPUs which is my main concern. And I don't know if the next gen APUs will still use the FM2 socket. So the upgradability is at kind of a standstill

the A10 with a 1866mhz ram is a great buy, cheap and powerful, next in value is...

FX x4 + 1600mhz ram (you do not need the fastest ram with the FX) + 7750 1GB

FX x4 + 1600mhz ram + 7850 1GB

FX x8 + 1600mhz ram + 7950 (this is to much, but is awesome ;D)

• AMD 7850 - 2GB GDDR5 256bits
  • gBANDWIDTH = 170.2 GB/s
  • gSHADERS = 1024 unified
  • gCPUoc = 1050 mhz
  • gMEMoc = 1330 mhz (x4)
  • gPIXELfillrate = 33.6 GP/s
  • gTEXTUREfillrate = 67.2 GT/s