Powerline and switches.

Hi Forum!

I'm new here, and heard so much about this forum that I've got to try it out, and what better way than to start with a networking question? :-)

So, I've just moved to a new apartment and is interested in using a powerline kit.

The thing is, where I've decides to place my two computers, there's only one wall plug, would I be able to plug the powerline into an extender?

Also, would it be possible to use the powerline on the computers end, with a switch and plug both computers into that?

Beforehanded, thanks so much!!

From, Tore

Hi Forum!

I'm new here, and heard so much about this forum that I've got to try it out, and what better way than to start with a networking question? :-)

So, I've just moved to a new apartment and is interested in using a powerline kit.

The thing is, where I've decides to place my two computers, there's only one wall plug, would I be able to plug the powerline into an extender?

Also, would it be possible to use the powerline on the computers end, with a switch and plug both computers into that?

Beforehanded, thanks so much!!

From, Tore

To answer your question, yes, yes and yes! Think of the powerline ethernet kits as a ethernet cord, except its running through your outlet, so if the ethernet cord could do the same thing then so can it! 

PS WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!  :)

i run a network of 4 powerline adapers and 3 acces points.

A powerline adapter is nothing else than a cable. you can use it beween 2 switches/router. there are even powerline adapters with a switch in it!

i run a network of 4 powerline adapers and 3 acces points.

A powerline adapter is nothing else than a cable. you can use it beween 2 switches/router. there are even powerline adapters with a switch in it!

I saw those, but they're relatively expensive compared to buying a kit of powerline adapters and a switch.

I've heard some people claim some outlet plug extenders prevent powerline from working?

Does anyone know something about this?

I saw those, but they're relatively expensive compared to buying a kit of powerline adapters and a switch.

I've heard some people claim some outlet plug extenders prevent powerline from working?

Ive never heard of it, And just thinking about it that seems kinda odd.

yes, never use a Powerline Adaper with a Outlet extender, it can really kill your performance.

if you need the outlet there are Powerline adpater with a outlet pass through

Many thanks, but I live in Denmark, so I guess I'll have to find my own kit... I was looking at this one; http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-PA411KIT

Also, a switch for 2-3 computers would be totaly awesome! - Any suggestions?  :lol:

So far you've been helpful!

My connection will be 10/1 - Don't you think it would be sufficient?  :)

they don't really do 500mbit...more like 150mbit :D, so a AV200 kit would bring 60mbit or something. and you want to use them for more than 1 year right? :D

15€ switch will do fine

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-SG1005D

And really important, the smaller, cheaper Adapers have a 100mbit Lan port, so they are really limited.

they don't really do 500mbit...more like 150mbit :D, so a AV200 kit would bring 60mbit or something. and you want to use them for more than 1 year right? :D

15€ switch will do fine

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-SG1005D

And really important, the smaller, cheaper Adapers have a 100mbit Lan port, so they are really limited.

I don't think I'll get more that 10mbit anytime soon..

So the:

http://www.tp-link.c...del=TL-PA251KIT

and

http://www.tp-link.c...odel=TL-SG1005D

Would be good for 2 computers hooked to the switch?

sure!

but don't forget if you change your setup and you want to push data through your Powerline Connection you will be limited to 100mbit

sure!

Many thanks for the help!

I will definitely be coming back here for help and to help others!