portforwarding?

Prokart2000

hi guys

i want to set up a mc server with some friends but i need portforwarding apparently, what is it and is it safe to do like no one can hack me or anthing?

thanks

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

As long as you don't open all your ports through DMZ you'll be fine. Only open ports that are directly connected to what you're trying to achieve and are absolutely neccessary. In this case it will be TCP/UDP for port 25565 to your internal IP.

so is this safe?

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

so is this safe?

Just don't open every single port and you should be fine.

Yeah its safe, like the comments above me, on this site you can find all the ports you need. http://portforward.com/ . You can find your route/modem there. I dont know what kind of router/modem you utilize but maybe you need to enable upnp (universal plug and play)

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Just forward only the game port and you should be fine. Usually port forwarding involves ranges, so do 25565-25565 so only that port is open.

Just forward only the game port and you should be fine. Usually port forwarding involves ranges, so do 25565-25565 so only that port is open.

can you give me a tutorial on how to do it?

Spoiler

As long as you don't open all your ports through DMZ you'll be fine. Only open ports that are directly connected to what you're trying to achieve and are absolutely neccessary. In this case it will be TCP/UDP for port 25565 to your internal IP.

just only open the ports you need and it will be fine

Yeah its safe, like the comments above me, on this site you can find all the ports you need. http://portforward.com/ . You can find your route/modem there. I dont know what kind of router/modem you utilize but maybe you need to enable upnp (universal plug and play)

how would i do it for a minecraft server

Spoiler

Go to this link: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Click on your router/modem-router then choose minecraft and it will give you a guide on how to do it, step by step with pics. 

they dont have my router

Spoiler

Bt hub 3

Spoiler

ok what does port forwarding do? you have an external ip (internet) and an internal one (for your home network). when you want to access a computer from outside your network you need to specify how that's possible. The guy that wants to connect to the mine craft server (in your case) types in your external ip. but then he's trying to connect to your router since that's the device that possesses this ip. what you need to do now, is 'forwarding'. you tell your router that in case somebody wants to connect to it with a certain port, this data is 'forwarded' to a device that's connected to your internal network. 

user->internet->router->mc server

usually you don't have a static ip, that means, that the ip your friends would have to connect to your server with, changes daily. so if you want to host a mine craft server, you need a dynamic dns service (i recommend noip.com). that means that you get a 'name', for example minecraft.noip.com, and the service checks for your daily ip automatically and masks it with a name. your friends would type in that they want to connect with 'minecraft.noip.com' instead of having to type in your ip that you would have to give them every day.

your router supports that@Prokart2000

/edit: minecraft default port is 25565 TCP.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

If you're using bukkit, there is an option on the BukkitGUI to port forward, that's what I use since I cba to port forward (Superstat tab)

If you're using bukkit, there is an option on the BukkitGUI to port forward, that's what I use since I cba to port forward (Superstat tab)

where abouts and is that safer or not as safe? and im on about the port forward not bukkit

Spoiler

ok what does port forwarding do? you have an external ip (internet) and an internal one (for your home network). when you want to access a computer from outside your network you need to specify how that's possible. The guy that wants to connect to the mine craft server (in your case) types in your external ip. but then he's trying to connect to your router since that's the device that possesses this ip. what you need to do now, is 'forwarding'. you tell your router that in case somebody wants to connect to it with a certain port, this data is 'forwarded' to a device that's connected to your internal network. 

user->internet->router->mc server

usually you don't have a static ip, that means, that the ip your friends would have to connect to your server with, changes daily. so if you want to host a mine craft server, you need a dynamic dns service (i recommend noip.com). that means that you get a 'name', for example minecraft.noip.com, and the service checks for your daily ip automatically and masks it with a name. your friends would type in that they want to connect with 'minecraft.noip.com' instead of having to type in your ip that you would have to give them every day.

your router supports that@Prokart2000

/edit: minecraft default port is 25565 TCP.

oh so its like friend>internet>router>my pc/server

Spoiler

oh so its like friend>internet>router>my pc/server

hmmph :<

captain Obvious, i know ;) 

the rest should help you, though ;)

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log