PC locking up.

Ineko

Just last night my PC started locking up when I was playing Dark Souls, it would start lagging for a few seconds and then lock up completely and the sound would freeze and just be like "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz". It got to the point where it was even locking up on the desktop right after logging in. I went into safe mode and used this to completley uninstall the graphics drivers and re-installed the newest ones from NVIDIA's site, but this didn't fix anything, it still freezes.

I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and SSDlife Pro, both say that my HDD and SSD are in good health. I ran P95 for an hour with no freezing, I ran Memtest86 for 6 hours over night and it didn't come up with any errors. I also ran Heaven Valley Benchmark like 6 times through while I was monitoring temps, CPU didn't go above 60c and GPU topped out at 72c (I have 2x triple slot cards in SLI so they get a little hot). It didn't lock up during any of this, and then start up Origin and jumped in BF4, 3 minutes later, frozen again! After this it started freezing on the desktop just after logging in. I've tried each GPU separately but it still locks up while gaming with either one of them in. 

I literally have no idea what else to do, I borrowed my W7 disk to a friend and I'll be getting it back soon. So I'll just backup my Steam library and format everything, although I'd rather not... but it's the only option I have left from what I can see.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, and if you manage to help me fix it I'll give you a cookie. ;)

it could be a virus possibly have you ran scans as well ?

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

It is a problem with graphics drivers. I had this exact problem happen in the past whenever i tried rendering a video with windows live movie maker. It was fixed with a new driver update that came out. You should try the beta drivers, or revert to an older driver where this doesn't happen. That is the only solution until the next drivers are released :(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it could be a virus possibly have you ran scans as well ?

Didn't really think about that tbh, I'll do a scan with Malwarebytes and Avast now.

It is a problem with graphics drivers. I had this exact problem happen in the past whenever i tried rendering a video with windows live movie maker. It was fixed with a new driver update that came out. You should try the beta drivers, or revert to an older driver where this doesn't happen. That is the only solution until the next drivers are released :(

I assumed this, it started happening after I updated to 337.88 I'll try going back to another driver and see if that helps.

Can't believe I haven't tried this already though :P It didn't really cross my mind that it might be a software problem.

I assumed this, it started happening after I updated to 337.88 I'll go back to another driver and see if that helps.

Yes, good idea :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020