ALC892 vs. ALC1150 any real difference?

The Z97 Gryphon supposedly has the ALC892 ($169) while the Z97MX Gaming 5 will carry the ALC1150 ($139), in line with most GIgabyte boards.

Will I notice any tangible difference between the two? I am by no means an audiophile, I occasionally listen to music on my computer with a pair of Logitech ultimate ears. I really love the look of the Gryphon.

yes there is a difference but anything above the ALC889 is a waste of money

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Yes but the difference will only be audible with a very good headset or speaker set. Don't buy a Motherboard based on their audio capabilities.

There will be a difference like everyone is saying. The thing is that it is not only the audio chipset that matters it is also the components around it.

Quote me to get a reply!

No you won't notice any difference. You want difference? get dac/amp, not sound card.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

No you won't notice any difference. You want difference? get dac/amp, not sound card.

Alright, Gryphon it is.

I'm no audiophile, but the config of the gryphon and other mATX boards don't exactly allow for a sound card...a pcie x1 card that is...it can't be used in conjunction with the 3.0 x16 slot, and is very close to the 3.0 x8 slot.

According to ASUS' site the Gryphon has an amp on it, but they don't state what amp it is, I was thinking about the output impedance. 

The GIGABYTE board has an OPA2134 amp, which as somewhere between 0.1 and 10 ohm output impedance, depending on gain, so to be safe, 80 ohm headphones or more is recommended.

Alright, Gryphon it is.

I'm no audiophile, but the config of the gryphon and other mATX boards don't exactly allow for a sound card...a pcie x1 card that is...it can't be used in conjunction with the 3.0 x16 slot, and is very close to the 3.0 x8 slot.

the Gryphon Z97 has a good setup, gfx card in top slot, and if your card is a 2 slot, you can have a sound card in the 3rd or 4th slot, no problem. but I don't recommend sound cards.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50