Can't start system due to "CPU fan error"

Hi guys,

To start of with, these are the relevant parts of the build I'm using

• Intel Core i5 4670K 

• Asus Z87-A

• Corsair Hydro H100i 

So when I start my system it won't get past the BIOS loading screen because of the "CPU fan error message.

The system I'm using is only a few months old. And I've had this problem RANDOMLY before, it happens about once ever 3 to 4 weeks that when I power up the system I get the fan error. Usually when I shut down the system and wait a while, start it up again everything is back to normal and my CPU snoozes at 25°C. I've done multiple stress tests (PRIME95) and nothing seems to "really" be wrong with the cooling itself. 

Today however after restarting the system multiple times the problem persists. I tried googling the problem and visiting my vendors product page, the problem is described here. I checked if my H100i connector is connected properly to a motherboard 3/4 pin connector and it is.

A dirty fix I tried was setting the CPU fan speed monitoring on ignore. Then the system starts but using RealTemp I do find temperatures going up to 100°C at idle, which is far from normal. And yes both CPU fans on the h100i cooling rack go into full throttle.

Don't really know what to do at this point.. I can't really believe anything is faulty with the cooling system itself because this "heating" problem has come and go in the past, but it just seemed like a glitch. Now I can see the temp rising in a "logical" way using realtemp when I do boot the system (It doesn't just stick to 100 I can see it go up from 50 -> 100 and then fluctuate between 90 and 100)

Any advice? Or will I be forced to actually take the entire system apart and send the motherboard back.. 

Is one of those pins for the H100's a PWN fan controller? as you can just plug it into the CPUfan 4 pin (but only using the 3) and you should get away with it. Either that or just disable monitoring on it. Thats what I did as I run a custom loop.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Is one of those pins for the H100's a PWN fan controller? as you can just plug it into the CPUfan 4 pin (but only using the 3) and you should get away with it. Either that or just disable monitoring on it. Thats what I did as I run a custom loop.

I've tried disabling the monitoring as mentioned above and I can get into my operating system. 

Using realtemp however the temps DO rise to 100°C.. So you're saying that information is false? I want to be sure because using it on that temp would probably start frying it on the long.

Yes I connect the Fans of the H100i to the block on the cpu and that in turn is connected to the motherboard CPU_Fan (4pins, using 3) (the cpu opt pins aren't being used)

try a bios update or roll back

or just

replace it with a msi board

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

or just

Replacing a 3 month old mobo hardly seems plausible... 

I already did a bios update after the problem occuring today, it didn't change anything. 

Could it be possible that the cooling block actually ISN'T connected 100% properly anymore? I know as described in my post this problem has occured pretty randomly in the past.. but maybe cause of the torque on the sides where the tubes are connected to the block (it does feel kinda tense..) the block actually did kinda come lose?

I'm currently logged into my system by putting the CPU fan monitoring off.

When in IDLE I get to around 60°C this is when the CPU usage is 0% and the clock is at 3.7 GHz. The moment I do something, like open chrome, tie temp jumpst to 90 - 100°C, the readings do seem accurate enough as they follow CPU usage.. 

or just

Bad advise..

You just have to get in the bios and change the cpu fan speed low limit to ignore:

11164046174l.jpg

Bad advise..

You just have to get in the bios and change the cpu fan speed low limit to ignore:

11164046174l.jpg

As mentioned before, this does the same as "ignore monitoring CPU fan speed" and it gets me into the system. BUT My H100i fans go full throttle, and checking realTemp I still get ridiculously high temps of 80°C at idle.

24 hours ago it was idle at 25°C

As mentioned before, this does the same as "ignore monitoring CPU fan speed" and it gets me into the system. BUT My H100i fans go full throttle, and checking realTemp I still get ridiculously high temps of 80°C at idle.

24 hours ago it was idle at 25°C

It doesnt ignore the cpu fan speed monitoring. It's just a safety thing whenever your a fan or pump drops below 600rpm it gives a warning to prevent overheating. Do you have your fans connected to the pump or motherboard? 

Also 80° at idle sounds like a bad mount or the pump is dead

It doesnt ignore the cpu fan speed monitoring. It's just a safety thing whenever your a fan or pump drops below 600rpm it gives a warning to prevent overheating. Do you have your fans connected to the pump or motherboard? 

Also 80° at idle sounds like a bad mount or the pump is dead

Yeah I was thinking the pump might have just died. But I can't figure out any way to check if the pump is alive.. 

Wouldn't a bad mount have shown earlier? And remounting will require me to buy cooling paste I assume? What I COULD do for the time is install the stock cooler instead of the watercooling system and check if that fixes things? 

I have the Corsair Link software but I can't figure out if I can actually check if the pump is working or not.

Would be kinda said if it died withing 3 - 4 months... oO

Yeah I was thinking the pump might have just died. But I can't figure out any way to check if the pump is alive.. 

Wouldn't a bad mount have shown earlier? And remounting will require me to buy cooling paste I assume? What I COULD do for the time is install the stock cooler instead of the watercooling system and check if that fixes things? 

I have the Corsair Link software but I can't figure out if I can actually check if the pump is working or not.

Would be kinda said if it died withing 3 - 4 months... oO

Just touch the tubes and see if there is any vibration or open ai suite and check if you see any speed reporting make sure to only have the pump connected to the board and nothing else.

If there's no rpm report here: i.imgur.com/j5bQm8K.jpg - then your pump is dead

Just touch the tubes and see if there is any vibration or open ai suite and check if you see any speed reporting make sure to only have the pump connected to the board and nothing else.

If there's no rpm report here: i.imgur.com/j5bQm8K.jpg - then your pump is dead

http://imgur.com/GO88aby,9VtZ9dM

I was able to use corsair link to get those snapshots, I feel that looking at the graphs, doesn't that indicate the pump is working? I think one of those 2 RPM's might be my pump.

EDIT:

This should be pump information?

http://imgur.com/8FmIQI4

Need a full window screenshot

I kinda made sure everything was on there, only the "H100i LED" value isn't on that screen =C

I'm gonna try to remove the H100i tomorrow and put on my stock cooler.. =/ 

Feels kinda bad :C such a new system.. 

I kinda made sure everything was on there, only the "H100i LED" value isn't on that screen =C

I'm gonna try to remove the H100i tomorrow and put on my stock cooler.. =/ 

Feels kinda bad :C such a new system.. 

Go in your bios:

uefi_bios_monitor2.jpg

Go in your bios:

Here is all the Monitor info:

EDIT: wait WTF, that's on N/A... I can ensure you though that both the H100i fans are full throttle and the cool block is connected to the CPU_FAN connector on the MB..

4dSgNr6.jpg

12ODsJ9.jpg

Here is all the Monitor info:

EDIT: wait WTF, that's on N/A... I can ensure you though that both the H100i fans are full throttle and the cool block is connected to the CPU_FAN connector on the MB..

1100 rpm thats probably a case fan. The pump should be always at 2000 rpm but the board not giving any report of the pump means your pump is dead.

my vote goes to dead pump, connect the H100i fans to the cpu fan header, and check if it boots normal then, if so shut down, and rma the H100i. i do hear alot of problems with H100i´s pumps lately, im glad that i choosed for a highend AC solution.

Replacing a 3 month old mobo hardly seems plausible... 

I already did a bios update after the problem occuring today, it didn't change anything. 

Could it be possible that the cooling block actually ISN'T connected 100% properly anymore? I know as described in my post this problem has occured pretty randomly in the past.. but maybe cause of the torque on the sides where the tubes are connected to the block (it does feel kinda tense..) the block actually did kinda come lose?

I'm currently logged into my system by putting the CPU fan monitoring off.

When in IDLE I get to around 60°C this is when the CPU usage is 0% and the clock is at 3.7 GHz. The moment I do something, like open chrome, tie temp jumpst to 90 - 100°C, the readings do seem accurate enough as they follow CPU usage.. 

sorry boss, that was pretty poor advice. you caught my in a asus rant mode this morning. My apologizes

seems like a poor mount or dead pump  given your idle/ load temps

after reading all the trouble shooting tips my vote also goes to a dead pump

re-mount cooler

plug one radiator fan into the cpu fan header

plug the pump into the cpu opt header

if problem still persists after trying this, rma the H110i.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. Have you found a solution yet? It also happens every 2-3 weeks in my case. Last time it wouldn't start until I hit the pump slightly with my finger right at start. This, supposedly, gives the pump a 'kickstart' so to say. A friend of mine also has this cooler, however hasn't had any problems at boot. He does not use Corsair link, but I do. Could this mean it's a software bug? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers and programms but... nothing. It still happens.