So I got two new servers the other day!

dylandylandylan

I got two servers super cheap (I'm talking under 20 dollars NZD) the other day, and I always wanted some to experiment!

The two servers that I got are as follows;

Dell PowerEdge 2850 with a single xeon, 2GB of RAM, one SCSI 36.4GB drive, PCI riser card and one PSU. 

343szg1.jpg

HP Proliant DL380 G4 with single xeon, 2GB RAM, 36.4GB SCSI drive, PCI riser card, and one PSU.

pzso.jpg

Now, all I've done so far is install windows server 2003 on the dell (because it had a DVD drive) I messed around for around 6 hours trying to install WS2003 on the HP via USB (it only has a CD drive) to no avail. I'm planning on learning how to install via iLO because both servers support it.

Now after all this is done, what do you suggest I learn how to do? since I've got the hardware set up here etc.

I've already got a freenas file server set up using my rig, and that's humming along nicely,

any other suggestions? 

#!

How the hell do you get these so cheap ? The cases themselves are worth more than 20$.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I wish i had some servers.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

$1 reserve listings on my local auction site! it's amazing 

I just wait, and hardly anyone wants to go and pick up 25kg+ worth of tech gear, so I jump right in there!

#!

The only thing that sucks is that the person that sells these servers really cheap, he's also the only one that sells the hard drive caddies, the hard drives, the CPUs etc, all the stuff needed to upgrade, and he charges a pretty penny for the lot. 

#!

604 cpu's are cheap i have one around somewhere, you can get them for 5-10$ on ebay (hate the heatsink mounting on those). Even dual core 771's are cheap as dirt.

You can run a game server if you desire on one of those or any other service you wish.

Yeah that's the thing, I live in New Zealand and I get pinged NZ - > US currency then shipping fees :( 

Maybe an old school quake multiplayer server would go down well with my friends at uni, ;)

#!

How the hell do you get these so cheap ? The cases themselves are worth more than 20$.

There End of life.

"There's no test like production!"

TBH there not worth the money  to run them witch i found with my 1950II they pull 1AMP+ noisy as f*ck and have crap performance to the modern day CPU's . If I was you i would put vSphere on them run several OS at once. -Edit don't waste money upgrading these things there is a reason they sell cheap.

$1 reserve listings on my local auction site! it's amazing 

I just wait, and hardly anyone wants to go and pick up 25kg+ worth of tech gear, so I jump right in there!

TradeMe? Have never seen this before, better keep a closer eye on things.

I know they are EoL im running a P4 and a Duron so any Xeon chip is an improvement old or new as i don't have a load of money to drop into something i only like doing for fun and not getting any money back.

I know they are EoL im running a P4 and a Duron so any Xeon chip is an improvement old or new as i don't have a load of money to drop into something i only like doing for fun and not getting any money back.

I do have to admit its f**king fun have server grade stuff ;)

are you interested in oil cooling ?  biggrin.gif

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

the reason they are cheap is because the are not power efficient at all. i used to have 2 DL580 G2's but i replaced them with at DL140G3 which is 2 times as powerfull at half the power consumption.

ps: if you need help with iLO just say so, ill help you out.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Doesn't iLO3 need a key ?

the reason they are cheap is because the are not power efficient at all. i used to have 2 DL580 G2's but i replaced them with at DL140G3 which is 2 times as powerfull at half the power consumption.

ps: if you need help with iLO just say so, ill help you out.

Thanks man, I probably will need help sooner rather than later ;)

Doesn't iLO3 need a key ?

Well on my DL380 G4, it has iLO, which is iLO2 :)

#!

TradeMe? Have never seen this before, better keep a closer eye on things.

Yup Mikipro sells a lot of old server gear, check them out.

#!

Yup Mikipro sells a lot of old server gear, check them out.

Will do. xD