[Help] DVD Drive ... do people still use these?

Go to solution Solved by dylandylandylan,

Definitely sounds like your bios is set to boot off CD, which will take the computer a little while to read to see if there is any bootable material on your CD before skipping it and booting off your hard drive.

Hello,

I've got a regular Pioneer DVD drive running in my PC and I left my "Witcher 2" disc in there

so when I needed to play it I don't need to explore my home for it lol. I rarely use the drive so leaving it

in there is fine and convenient. However whenever I boot my pc there is a good chance that the drive

will have difficulty reading the disc, that's not the only problem, on boot at the bios post screen it would

hang for a VERY long time and the drive would be repetitively making a seek sound as if it has trouble

reading the disc. If I hit the eject button the post would immediately be done and there's a chance the disc

would spin up normally, sometimes it doesn't and I'd need to eject and push it back in over and over till

it reads the damn thing. What's up? have I got a faulty disc or a faulty drive? Whenever I try to put a different

disc such as an Office 2013 installation it would read it instantly with no issues. This is getting frustrating as it

causes boot hangs and the seek sound is annoying and I assume definitely not healthy for the drive. Any ideas?

p.s maybe this isn't the right place to post, these are getting so old there's no category for them :lol:

Thanks.

is your computer set to boot off of the dvd drive?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Definitely sounds like your bios is set to boot off CD, which will take the computer a little while to read to see if there is any bootable material on your CD before skipping it and booting off your hard drive.

#!

Holy crud, I can't believe I never thought of that. It must be the DVD drive because I would have

left on it boot from disc to install my Windows 8 5 months ago. I'll check and see how it goes, thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT:

Yup, solved partially .. at least the most important part for now.

Boots fast and fine now it goes straight for the HDD. Still don't know why my drive refuses to read sometimes unless I eject over and over again.

Thanks to everyone who helped, you were all right and I'm an idiot for not thinking lol!

Since other discs work fine, it's probably a problem with the Witcher 2 disc itself. Check the disc for scratches, fingerprints, etc, and clean it if necessary. But the disc could actually be less than perfect.

Note - when cleaning, the disc is read from the inside out - not from the outside in - so pay particular attention to scratches etc, near the center of the disk.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD