What PSU wattage would i need to power Radeon HD7770 Crossfire?

Sam R
Hey guys? He asked about a power supply for the cards. Not if people think it's a good idea to CrossFire them. Maybe he already has two. Maybe they're on for a bargain price. Maybe he just thinks it's cool. The point is this: he asked a question, and you are not answering it by telling him not to do something. You may be trying to help, but it's still not cool.

Now if you were to answer his question AND also SUGGEST that 7770s are not well suited to CrossFire, then that's a alright in my books, because you are helping him out. I do happen to agree though that you'd be better off with a single card solution FWIW...

Anyways, it's hard to recommend a specific wattage without knowing anything else about your system. I'm going to recommend around 600W minimum, but that's just a guess.

Whatever you do, just make sure you buy a QUALITY supply, I would suggest that it is at least 80+ Bronze Certified from a reliable manufacturer like Seasonic, Antec, Corsair or Enermax.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ is my go to for all things PSU related. Hope this helps. :)

So, advising someone on how they are wasting money is a bad thing?

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

Hey guys? He asked about a power supply for the cards. Not if people think it's a good idea to CrossFire them. Maybe he already has two. Maybe they're on for a bargain price. Maybe he just thinks it's cool. The point is this: he asked a question, and you are not answering it by telling him not to do something. You may be trying to help, but it's still not cool.

Now if you were to answer his question AND also SUGGEST that 7770s are not well suited to CrossFire, then that's a alright in my books, because you are helping him out. I do happen to agree though that you'd be better off with a single card solution FWIW...

Anyways, it's hard to recommend a specific wattage without knowing anything else about your system. I'm going to recommend around 600W minimum, but that's just a guess.

Whatever you do, just make sure you buy a QUALITY supply, I would suggest that it is at least 80+ Bronze Certified from a reliable manufacturer like Seasonic, Antec, Corsair or Enermax.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ is my go to for all things PSU related. Hope this helps. :)

People are free to build whatever system they want.

I think made it pretty clear above why it is or is not okay. Like I said, answer their question first, then make our own suggestion. Which you have. Kudos to you sir.

A decent 600W would be fine, however a good rated 450W unit is also perfectly fine, and it would work.

As seen here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_7770_CrossFire/21.html

The maximum ( in this review ) states that the maximum power draw from cross-fired 7770 was 159W.

You could get away with a 450w unit from decent and reliable OEM such as Super Flower and Seasonic.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_hd_7770_ghz_edition_review,6.html

"Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 7770 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 Watt power supply unit.

Radeon HD 7770 Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum."

"What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

bad 3D performance

crashing games

spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC

freezing during gameplay

PSU overload can cause it to break down"