Fan orientation for Bitfenix Prodigy M

jtai117

Hi guys,

So ever since I assembled my pc about a month ago I have been trying to find the best fan configuration for my prodigy m. Currently I have my 230mm fan on the bottom sucking air up through the bottom, a 120mm fan on the top sucking in air and blowing air directly onto my gpu and my hyper 212 evo is drawing air through the heatsink and there's another 120mm fan on the back of the case blowing air out of my case.

I was wondering if I should turn my fans around so they're all sucking air into my case to create more positive pressure and if I do, which way should my cpu cooler fan be orientated?

Thanks.

Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene 2 x 8GB G.Skill 16GB 1600 Mhz Intel 4670k @ 4.3 Ghz Corsair H100i w/ stock fans EVGA GTX 770 SC Intel 750 Series SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 SSD 240GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Seasonic X-650 V3 2 x 140 mm Noctua A14 PPC, 120mm LED Corsair AF120

Whats the exact aim of what you are trying to do? 

Dust management? temps? noise? 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

I've got a phenom m and I'm wondering the same thing, right now I'm pulling in from the top and FROM BEHIND AND PUSHING OUT THE BOTTOM.

Edit: Went full retard on the GPU bit. Ignore that. Based on the pics on Newegg, it looks like it has a dust filter on the top of the case, and it's far enough away from the rear that I'd not worry about it being intake for the video card.

Revising my recommendation to have your fans as bottom/rear exhaust, top intake. I'm like, 99.999% sure this is best overall, in every way possible. Just deleted the rest of the post since it doesn't matter; everything makes sense now.

Normally you want to have you intakes in the bottom, exhausts in the top (hot air rises).  In the case of the Prodigy M, if you're using a dual fan style GPU cooler, it blows air downwards (because the motherboard is inverted therefore the cards are upside down) so it is suggested by bitfenix to put intakes in the top and exhausts in the bottom.  Intakes are still in the front and the rear exhaust is still a thing.  I personally would be tempted to skip the bottom fan because it seems silly unless some how you have a static pressure optimized fan.

If you're using blower style gpu coolers, I don't think it matters, but freshest air to the gpu is never a bad thing.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

Whats the exact aim of what you are trying to do? 

Dust management? temps? noise?

I want to try and get positive pressure in my case. I'll be getting better, quiet fans on Thursday so I'm not too concerned about noise

I've got a phenom m and I'm wondering the same thing, right now I'm pulling in from the top and FROM BEHIND AND PUSHING OUT THE BOTTOM.

How's the cooling performance like with that setup?

Edit: Went full retard on the GPU bit. Ignore that. Based on the pics on Newegg, it looks like it has a dust filter on the top of the case, and it's far enough away from the rear that I'd not worry about it being intake for the video card.Revising my recommendation to have your fans as bottom/rear exhaust, top intake. I'm like, 99.999% sure this is best overall, in every way possible. Just deleted the rest of the post since it doesn't matter; everything makes sense now.

That wouldn't give me positive pressure though? Also, wouldn't the gpu block a lot of the cool air from the top?

Normally you want to have you intakes in the bottom, exhausts in the top (hot air rises).  In the case of the Prodigy M, if you're using a dual fan style GPU cooler, it blows air downwards (because the motherboard is inverted therefore the cards are upside down) so it is suggested by bitfenix to put intakes in the top and exhausts in the bottom.  Intakes are still in the front and the rear exhaust is still a thing.  I personally would be tempted to skip the bottom fan because it seems silly unless some how you have a static pressure optimized fan.

If you're using blower style gpu coolers, I don't think it matters, but freshest air to the gpu is never a bad thing.

I'm using an eVGA GTX 770 with the acx cooler. The bottom fan is a 230mm bitfenix spectre pro. What do you think is the best fan setup for the Prodigy m?

Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene 2 x 8GB G.Skill 16GB 1600 Mhz Intel 4670k @ 4.3 Ghz Corsair H100i w/ stock fans EVGA GTX 770 SC Intel 750 Series SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 SSD 240GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Seasonic X-650 V3 2 x 140 mm Noctua A14 PPC, 120mm LED Corsair AF120

Ok so, basically there seems to be 2 different configurations that I've been given. One is to leave the top as an intake, change the rear to an intake and make the bottom an exhaust. The second is to follow the heat flow and make the bottom and the back intakes and make the top and exhaust. What do you people think?

For that configuration I'd do intakes in the top and front, exhaust in the bottom.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

For that configuration I'd do intakes in the top and front, exhaust in the bottom.

There's no front intake. It's covered by the power supply. So intake from top and rear then exhaust out the bottom?