Need evidence to back up the whole "Mice are more accurate than gamepads" argument.

DrewZealot

Hey guys,

So my friends were arguing with me that mice are in no way more accurate than the thumbsticks on a gamepad. I proceeded to argue that mice are far more accurate and it was silly of them to think otherwise.

I brought up the fact that PC FPS don't have auto aim enabled by default while consoles do, and that if they were to play on CS:GO with their gamepads, against people using a mouse they would get thrashed.

They continued to say I was wrong and they were right, and since I had no evidence on hand or scientific data and I was outnumbered in the argument, they won by default.

However, I plan to be prepared next time! I need evidence, data, case studies, videos, examples... Anything to make them see the truth!

Thank you :)

pnBIF.gif?1

Oh oh oh and I am in no way saying that one is better than the other, that is preference, only that mice are indeed more accurate than a thumbstick

pnBIF.gif?1

Tell him to try and aim at 6 different points on the screen and time how long that takes. Do the same thing on a PC with a mouse. Problem solved.

I could never master a gamepad, it took too long particularly in sniping games to perfectly line up a shot vs with a mouse i was on target within seconds and making minute adjustments easily whereas the gamepad was always jerky.

I'm with windspeed here; let 'em do a run on your rig, thats the only way they will see the difference on their own. Often this discussions gone straight into bashing and even case studies called tinkered with.

GLHYn.jpg

also; if you just try hard enough, you can suck at everything ^^

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

How are they expecting you to compare a joystick-type control with a mouse? You can give technical info regarding the precision of a mouse (DPI ect), but that's never comparable to a gamepad's joystick thingy.

I'd let them control a computer's cursor with a gamepad, see if they can actually click anything. Or, if they don't already, let them turn off aim assist in a console shooter, then play (or use a controller for a shooter on PC). It's incredibly hard to precisely aim without it (even though some people mastered it).

They'll see.

Tell him to try and aim at 6 different points on the screen and time how long that takes. Do the same thing on a PC with a mouse. Problem solved.

I could never master a gamepad, it took too long particularly in sniping games to perfectly line up a shot vs with a mouse i was on target within seconds and making minute adjustments easily whereas the gamepad was always jerky.

Or make them play a fast paced fps and switch them from mouse to game pads... I did that with a friend of mine with ut3, since ut3 can use gamepads by default auto aim gets enanabled :p

Corsair 500r White - Sabertooth 990FX - FX8150 @ 4.6Ghz - Gskill Sniper 1866 - XFX Double D 7970

Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty - OCZ Vertex3 120GB - WD Black 2TB - Ultra X4 Modular 850w PSU

1. Consoles games use aim assist.

PCs games do not.

Conclusion: Controllers require help to be accurate. Mice use the raw input - no help.

2. Console games have an acceleration curve for the joystick.

PC games do not (at least any that should be taken seriously).

Conclusion: Non-linear control schemes are less consistent than linear controls.

3. Anything overly fast, like Quake and variants, Scout in TF2, etc. They just don't work on console.

At the end of the day, though, most console players are ignorant and will dispute this. Preference is fine. And certain genres are well-suited to a gamepad. But for aiming a crosshair, a mouse just slaughters a controller. It shouldn't even be up for debate.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

Very simple: look up the DPI of a gaming mouse, for eg. 3500

then say to your friends: " try and move you stick for 1/3500 of an inch and see if it does anything" kinda silly but may work

but there is actually no real way of putting accurate data on the table about a controller, even Razor doesn't release that kind of stuff.

the best way would be that they try out BF3 or even COD on pc with there controller hooked up

Ok here is your mistake, you argued with console gamers, console gamers aren't the most intelligent people on this planet because if they were they wouldn't have chosen to game on consoles rather than PCs.

Rofl that could well be the most biased comment I've ever read.

There is nothing wrong with console gaming. Personally I sold my 360 for a slightly better graphics card.

However, if you can afford both a console and a PC, there's no reason you shouldn't get both--consoles still have their pros.

As far as I'm concerned a mouse is a lot more accurate than an analogue stick on a controller, there's no doubt. However I do prefer controllers for racing games, but that's comparing it to a keyboard since there's no use for a mouse in a racing game. Other than that mice rule.

As far as I'm concerned a mouse is a lot more accurate than an analogue stick on a controller, there's no doubt. However I do prefer controllers for racing games, but that's comparing it to a keyboard since there's no use for a mouse in a racing game. Other than that mice rule.
Well yes because analog controllers are gradual, keyboard key actuation isn't gradual.

I recommend you get new friends.
Haha, I'm not about to drop my friends just because they don't agree with me on the subject.
pnBIF.gif?1

I mean the only time I would and do ever use game pads is for Flight Sims and Racing games purely because the WASD key are pure binary input meaning that there is no such thing as making a small adjustment while using the keys as apposed to a joystick or a gamepad. But in general for FPS Mice and keyboard is much much better and more accurate for it. And also, there is a very good reason why you cant play LoL or Dota on a console, because it would be impossible.

Cacti, not cactuses. 

Mouse is many times more precise and a keyboard gives you lots of layout options. I personally like a KB/M because it is more user friendly when you know how you use one and the mouse is very accurate.

This argument can be won by both sides (more so with mice being more accurate)

It really comes down to the context in which it's more accurate. If the game in question was developed for console then later poorly ported over to the PC then it is very likely that the controller would be more optimized and accurate. Of course plugging a controller into your PC to play a game developed with PC only in mind will show clear advantage to the mouse users.

If you want some actual evidence. You need to plug a controller into your PC and set the thumbsticks to mouse axis via glovepie. Make sure you calibrate the controller properly to ensure a fair fight.

Now on your desktop move several folders around to various locations. The goal is a race to open each one in a specific order.

You can change the sensitivity settings to whatever you want because hands down the controller will not beat the mouse.

In the end let people play with whatever method they choose and feel comfortable with. Don't hate on them for not using your preferred style.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

There was a game whose name is escaping me on the dreamcast where m/kb could be used and people crushed controller users.

Microsoft also looked at it and found that average m/kb players were beating good console players.

And didn't valve decide against cs:go being cross platform because of the difficulty balancing the m/kb advantage?

Make them play some Unreal Tournament. It's one of those games that are absolutely impossible with a gamepad.

CPU: i5 2500K (@ stock for now) GPU: Gigabyte GTX650Ti OC MOBO: Intel P67 RAM: 2x4GB Kingston (@1333MHz) PSU: 550w Xilence CASE: Generic :D MONITOR: Dell U2412M (24', 1200p 16:10) MOUSE: Acme something KB: Logitech K260

Who cares. Who are you to prove them wrong? Console people will always remain console people. I personally don't care what they think. I'll keep playing my PC games where they play their consoles.

FPS, Strategy: obviously better for mouse

Fighting games: better on consoles or with a controller.

Who cares. Who are you to prove them wrong? Console people will always remain console people. I personally don't care what they think. I'll keep playing my PC games where they play their consoles. FPS' date=' Strategy: obviously better for mouse Fighting games: better on consoles or with a controller. [/quote']

I want to prove them wrong because they sometimes make fun of me for thinking that a mouse is better than a controller. They basically think I am stupid.

pnBIF.gif?1

You could find the article involving the Xbox 360 and the fact that they abandoned M+K mainly because n00bs with M+K destroyed Pro MLG controller players.

Who cares. Who are you to prove them wrong? Console people will always remain console people. I personally don't care what they think. I'll keep playing my PC games where they play their consoles. FPS' date=' Strategy: obviously better for mouse Fighting games: better on consoles or with a controller. [/quote'] I want to prove them wrong because they sometimes make fun of me for thinking that a mouse is better than a controller. They basically think I am stupid.

Who cares what they think? I don't even bother talking about anything console related especially if it's Call of Duty. My ideals of a video game is different from every body else. It is impossible to argue with ignorant people and you shouldn't even bother caring what they think. I don't know how old you are but humans like sticking to what they're comfortable with. If you started playing games on a console, high chances will be that you will be sticking to consoles.

Mouses are better than controllers for PC for sure. But I shouldn't have to provide scientific proof to prove them wrong, it's not going to matter to them. They're just going to ignore it. At the end of the day, they're going to stick to consoles.

You could find the article involving the Xbox 360 and the fact that they abandoned M+K mainly because n00bs with M+K destroyed Pro MLG controller players.
The reason cross-platform gaming is nearly non-existent.

Make them play some Unreal Tournament. It's one of those games that are absolutely impossible with a gamepad.
U can play fine with ut3+controller since was first released on console and ut99 was ported to dreamcast and ps2. But its way better on kb/m faster response gameplay gets like 25% to 30% slower with controller in my opinion an experience with it.

Corsair 500r White - Sabertooth 990FX - FX8150 @ 4.6Ghz - Gskill Sniper 1866 - XFX Double D 7970

Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty - OCZ Vertex3 120GB - WD Black 2TB - Ultra X4 Modular 850w PSU