Low frame rate and cpu/gpu usage

Smushily

Sometimes when I am playing games my frame rate will drop below 10 fps and the cpu (8700) will go and stay below 15% and my gpu (1070) will stay below 40%. and the core clock will go down to 1100Mhz My temps are fine the cpu usually stays below 85c and the gpu is usually around 80 so I don't think it is thermal throttling.

I have tried running BIOS diagnostics for hardware changes and got no hardware problems detected. I have tried restarting, and performing a hard reset to no avail. I have also updated my graphics card drivers using device manager.  My pc is the Dell Inspiron 5680....

Any help is appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Smushily said:

My temps are fine the cpu usually stays below 85c and the gpu is usually around 80 so I don't think it is thermal throttling.

If your CPU is at 85C then there's definitely something going on.  That's stress test temperatures, not average usage temperatures.  What kind of cooler do you have on it?

As for your CPU usage, you need to check all 12 threads.  It could easily be limited by single core performance. The total CPU usage is pretty irrelevant when measuring throttling.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If your CPU is at 85C then there's definitely something going on.  That's stress test temperatures, not average usage temperatures.  What kind of cooler do you have on it?

As for your CPU usage, you need to check all 12 threads.  It could easily be limited by single core performance. The total CPU usage is pretty irrelevant when measuring throttling.

Intel stock cpu cooler.. I dont think 85C for a i7 8700k is a thermal throttling limit, is it?

14 minutes ago, Smushily said:

Intel stock cpu cooler.. I dont think 85C for a i7 8700k is a thermal throttling limit, is it?

No, but it's not good either.  The Intel stock coolers are pretty worthless, so I'd recommend replacing it.

I'd suggest leaving HWMonitor open while you play a game, and continue until you hit the performance drops you're talking about.  Post a screenshot of HWMonitor after you exit the game.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, but it's not good either.  The Intel stock coolers are pretty worthless, so I'd recommend replacing it.

I'd suggest leaving HWMonitor open while you play a game, and continue until you hit the performance drops you're talking about.  Post a screenshot of HWMonitor after you exit the game.

I use msi afterburner would that be sufficent for a ss?

1 hour ago, Smushily said:

I use msi afterburner would that be sufficent for a ss?

No.  We need max and min of a lot of stuff.

16 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

No.  We need max and min of a lot of stuff.

I think it was jus due to overuse. Ive been playing games most of today and havent had it happen yet. I have HWMonitor on another monitor so when it does, ill post the ss