Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Staycalm

Changing TDP of Mobile Ryzen

Posted · Original PosterOP

I don't know if this falls under the overclocking category or laptops in general, but I figured this would be a safe bet. :)

I've recently installed Ryzen Controller on my laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 14ARE05, due to an interest in tweaking with it just to see if I could get lower temps and/or better performance. But before I use it, I have to ask, could I potentially kill my laptop if I push the TDP too high? 

I figure that I would only really have to watch my temps because the voltages *shouldn't* change to my knowledge, but I wanted to be safe and ask the masses first.

You can kill any CPU by putting too much voltage through it, but the Thermal Design Power (TDP) of your CPU or cooler isn't going to change a huge amount when overclocked. It's supposed to represent the maximum wattage that a CPU will consume, or that a cooling solution is able to dissipate.

Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.