Low GPU Usage

rpalmz46

Some games can be CPU limited even if you aren't 100% CPU usage.

Some games only load up 4 cores and ignore the rest, and in your case, showing 75% would be CPU limited in those games.

My 8700k I know is a limit in some games despite showing only 48% utilization. Not many games will actually push me to past 50%

It's not an exact science and it absolutely depends on what games you're playing.

Specifically, Far Cry 5 is NOTORIOUSLY CPU limited. If you look at the RTX 3080 benchmarks, it's barely better than a 2080ti in that game. Getting a Ryzen CPU will absolutely NOT fix your GPU utilization. That game is just broken.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

45 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Some games can be CPU limited even if you aren't 100% CPU usage.

Some games only load up 4 cores and ignore the rest, and in your case, showing 75% would be CPU limited in those games.

My 8700k I know is a limit in some games despite showing only 48% utilization. Not many games will actually push me to past 50%

It's not an exact science and it absolutely depends on what games you're playing.

Specifically, Far Cry 5 is NOTORIOUSLY CPU limited. If you look at the RTX 3080 benchmarks, it's barely better than a 2080ti in that game. Getting a Ryzen CPU will absolutely NOT fix your GPU utilization. That game is just broken.

Yeah thanks for the reply i looked at some benchmarks with better cpus and it doesnt seem like they get much better fps than i do in far cry 5 specifically this isnt the only game im interested in playing obviously but just was using it for a comparison. I still want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu at some point soon though since its the motherboard i feel is starting to die since my usb ports on it hardly work and i cant even shut down my pc without manually holding the power button. Figured id upgrade to ryzen when the new 4000 series of them comes out maybe.

3 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Yeah thanks for the reply i looked at some benchmarks with better cpus and it doesnt seem like they get much better fps than i do in far cry 5 specifically this isnt the only game im interested in playing obviously but just was using it for a comparison. I still want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu at some point soon though since its the motherboard i feel is starting to die since my usb ports on it hardly work and i cant even shut down my pc without manually holding the power button. Figured id upgrade to ryzen when the new 4000 series of them comes out maybe.

Definitely wait for 4000 series. And if I were you, I'd get something with at least 8 cores.

Personally, I'll be going for excess and a 10 or 12 core variants. Single-threaded performance isn't likely to go up too much for either of us, but what we'll be getting is wider, so may as well give us as much lateral headroom as possible (within reason, obviously.)

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x