Dolphin Emulator lags with multiple Wii remotes

Go to solution Solved by WaggishOhio383,

Well I ended up figuring out the solution on my own and I guess I'll just post it here in case anyone else has the same problem and finds this thread. It turned out to be an issue with using a bluetooth speaker on my computer. As soon as I switched to outputting sound to the speaker through aux, all the lag went away. The emulated wii bluetooth adapter just doesn't play well with other bluetooth devices.

Let me just start by saying that I know this obviously isn't the official dolphin emulator forum. However, I have already made a post about this there and noone seemed able to help, so I'm trying here in the chance someone on here knows what they're doing with the program.

I just recently got into using dolphin emulator, and I'm having a strange issue when I try to use multiple wii remotes at a time. When I connect two wii remotes, games start to stutter and lag horribly whenever I press a button (which is a problem for obvious reasons). If I just use one Wii remote games run great. Additionally, I get small lag spikes in games if I even have a second wii remote configured in settings, regardless of whether it's connected. I also get lag if I enable speaker data, and the speakers on the remotes don't work either. I've tried changing the graphics drivers to see if that would help, but to no avail (I'm currently using Vulkan as it is the only one that runs without lag when I'm not using two remotes). I have the resolution upscaled to run at 1080p, but the lag still happens if I turn it down to native. I'm completely perplexed as to why this is happening, as I can't find anyone else complaining about a similar issue anywhere online. If specs for my computer are needed, they can be found in my signature. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Well I ended up figuring out the solution on my own and I guess I'll just post it here in case anyone else has the same problem and finds this thread. It turned out to be an issue with using a bluetooth speaker on my computer. As soon as I switched to outputting sound to the speaker through aux, all the lag went away. The emulated wii bluetooth adapter just doesn't play well with other bluetooth devices.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

This has actually be on long ongoing issue. Dolphin doesn't play nice with most bluetooth adapters.

I believe the only officially supported bluetooth adapter is the official wii bluetooth module via passthrough which requires rigging up the bluetooth adapter from a old wii. It also yeilds the best results. There are are a few guides floating around the internet on that.

I would take a look at https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Bluetooth_Passthrough , which also has a list of some tested bluetooth devices.

The emulated driver is known to be problematic and cause conflicts.

Using a device in passthrough mode will not allow anything outside of dolphin to utilize it.

8 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

This has actually be on long ongoing issue. Dolphin doesn't play nice with most bluetooth adapters.

I believe the only officially supported bluetooth adapter is the official wii bluetooth module via passthrough which requires rigging up the bluetooth adapter from a old wii. It also yeilds the best results. There are are a few guides floating around the internet on that.

I would take a look at https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Bluetooth_Passthrough , which also has a list of some tested bluetooth devices.

The emulated driver is known to be problematic and cause conflicts.

Using a device in passthrough mode will not allow anything outside of dolphin to utilize it.

Yeah. It seems to work well now as long as I don't use any bluetooth devices other than the two Wii remotes.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x