TV or Monitor? Which Would You Choose?

Omikse

After perusing these display forum since I am looking to get a monitor, I also see some suggesting to get a TV instead of a monitor.  So just out of curiosity, which do you have and why did you choose to get it? What would you suggest to others as to what to have? Now I am not asking for advise, I just like to know stuff like this.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Heat Sink: AMD Wraith Prism RGB, Video Card: FTW GeForce RTX 3080, Memory: 4 x G. Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 8GB (total 32GB), Power Supply: Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB750W, MonitorAOC Q32G1WG4, HD: 2 x Samsung EVO 850 and 4 x Seagate 2TB ST2000DL 003-9VT166 SATA HD, Keyboard: G. Skill RipJaws KM780R RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Mouse: Logitech G903 Wireless, Network Adaptor: D-Link DWA-192 AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0

3 minutes ago, Omikse said:

which do you have and why did you choose to get it?

monitor, but i would love a TV if i could mount it proper for bedside rig, movie watching would be sweet

4 minutes ago, Omikse said:

What would you suggest to others as to what to have?

movies/couch gaming = TV

others = monitor

because most TV have horrible input lag and post processing, unless they have game mode.

their size is sweet for content consumption and chillax gaming on bed/couch though

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It becomes a question of what they are optomized for and what your intended purpose is.  TVs are optimized for video, monitors are optimized for reading type.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I am in the same conundrum.

The new LG OLEDs have HDMI 2.1, are bigger, and have good HDR support. WIth the new graphics cards, its hard to know what to do.

1 hour ago, Omikse said:

After perusing these display forum since I am looking to get a monitor, I also see some suggesting to get a TV instead of a monitor.  So just out of curiosity, which do you have and why did you choose to get it? What would you suggest to others as to what to have? Now I am not asking for advise, I just like to know stuff like this.

I havnt used a Monitor since the CRT days.

In fact i went from CRT, to 1st Gen LCD Monitor (for like 1 week), returned it, then went CCFL LCD TV (for like a month) then returned it, then went to 42" Plasma.

Im still running that Plasma.

Im going to be getting a 48" OLED likely around Xmas to finally replace it.

If ur like me and ur looking for a display but cant help but compare it against CRT and Plasma, its just extremely hard to ever find anything that satisfies what u want from a LCD display.

I want:

Fast responsive image (so low input lag and fast pixel response)

I want high contrast

I want black blacks

I want minimal to no color, gamma, of brightness shift at off angles.

I want high refresh

I want high resolution

I want a uniform image

And u just cant get all that in a LCD display.

So yea, I've gone TV because there simply isnt a non LCD option in the monitor space.

If u can work around a 48" size, and dont mind minor changes in ur habitual use of the display vs LCD, then an CX 48" OLED will, hands down, blow the ever living crap out of any LCD 'monitor'.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

So yea, I've gone TV because there simply isnt a non LCD option in the monitor space.

If u can work around a 48" size, and dont mind minor changes in ur habitual use of the display vs LCD, then an CX 48" OLED will, hands down, blow the ever living crap out of any LCD 'monitor'.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled

Food for thought.