Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ineverkillinpubg

no cpu ihs

In the early days before heat spreaders we used copper spacers to protect the chip. If you must use tape, use Kapton electrical tape (the yellow translucent stuff found inside electrical devices). it is non conductive and heat resistant.

Posted · Original PosterOP

hey guys, i need help

i just watched about installation cpu without ihs in here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZaupV3MLjs

it seems, he used "paper" tape , i dont what it is name

it looks like he covered his cpu with tape from water block

i did to my cpu like what he did, and it worked

but, i used "plastic" tape (generally tape)

will it destroy my cpu?

The tape was intended to take some pressure off the CPU die, and to give a bigger surface area to push down on the chip so it had better contact with the socket. If your setup is working now I wouldn't expect that to change just because you used a different kind of tape.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Posted · Best Answer

In the early days before heat spreaders we used copper spacers to protect the chip. If you must use tape, use Kapton electrical tape (the yellow translucent stuff found inside electrical devices). it is non conductive and heat resistant.

Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

The tape was intended to take some pressure off the CPU die, and to give a bigger surface area to push down on the chip so it had better contact with the socket. If your setup is working now I wouldn't expect that to change just because you used a different kind of tape.

okay, thank you

6 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

is generally tape is unsafe?

should i turn my pc off, and get Kapton electrical tape

1 minute ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Regular tape might melt, I don't think that would immediately kill it. But, it would be on heck of a mess.

wow, that is so bad, what is temperature can melt it?

1 minute ago, ineverkillinpubg said:

okay, thank you

is generally tape is unsafe?

should i turn my pc off, and get Kapton electrical tape

wow, that is so bad, what is temperature can melt it?

Standard clear tape is safe up to 25 C, basically room temperature. While it may not melt right away, given enough heat over a certain amount of time it will. The advantage of Kapton tape is that is not only non conductive, it also has some heat transfer abilities. 

You would be better of making yourself a spacer from a thin sheet of copper. Make sure though that you won't touch any of the SMDs on the CPU, otherwise they will short out.