no cpu ihs

Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,

In the early days before heat spreaders we used copper spacers to protect the chip. If you must use tape, use Kapton electrical tape (the yellow translucent stuff found inside electrical devices). it is non conductive and heat resistant.

hey guys, i need help

i just watched about installation cpu without ihs in here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZaupV3MLjs

it seems, he used "paper" tape , i dont what it is name

it looks like he covered his cpu with tape from water block

i did to my cpu like what he did, and it worked

but, i used "plastic" tape (generally tape)

will it destroy my cpu?

The tape was intended to take some pressure off the CPU die, and to give a bigger surface area to push down on the chip so it had better contact with the socket. If your setup is working now I wouldn't expect that to change just because you used a different kind of tape.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

In the early days before heat spreaders we used copper spacers to protect the chip. If you must use tape, use Kapton electrical tape (the yellow translucent stuff found inside electrical devices). it is non conductive and heat resistant.

8 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

The tape was intended to take some pressure off the CPU die, and to give a bigger surface area to push down on the chip so it had better contact with the socket. If your setup is working now I wouldn't expect that to change just because you used a different kind of tape.

okay, thank you

6 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

is generally tape is unsafe?

should i turn my pc off, and get Kapton electrical tape

1 minute ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Regular tape might melt, I don't think that would immediately kill it. But, it would be on heck of a mess.

wow, that is so bad, what is temperature can melt it?

1 minute ago, ineverkillinpubg said:

okay, thank you

is generally tape is unsafe?

should i turn my pc off, and get Kapton electrical tape

wow, that is so bad, what is temperature can melt it?

Standard clear tape is safe up to 25 C, basically room temperature. While it may not melt right away, given enough heat over a certain amount of time it will. The advantage of Kapton tape is that is not only non conductive, it also has some heat transfer abilities. 

You would be better of making yourself a spacer from a thin sheet of copper. Make sure though that you won't touch any of the SMDs on the CPU, otherwise they will short out.