How the HELL do i cable manage THIS

BlackRose
Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

Okay I'm not going to be as downer as some of the others here are, but they're not entirely wrong.  There are a LOT of limits to what you can do here.

But you can definitely make a difference inside:

Okay, here's what I would do:

One, buy some zip strips, the tiny ones are fine for inside the case.
Amazon.com: DNF 1000 PACK 6"Inch Zip Tie Black Cable Wire Ziptie Plastic  Cord Organizer Wrap: Home Improvement

Two, unplug everything related to the PSU (And SATA Cables) from inside the case:

image.png.6a51b667f420b77f1dbf55f0e936fb27.png

Unplug all the cables in the Orange bubbles.  They're plenty easy to unhook.  (The tall bubble over the bundle of wires?  The main 24 pin, or whatever pins that system has, should be under it.

NOTE:  Do NOT start unplugging the super thin cords at the very bottom of the motherboard  (The ones under the Red Box.)  They're way more annoying to deal with plugging back in.  But you can probably route them a little better once the mess of PSU wires is out of the way.

Once everything is unplugged, start trying to separate out the cords individually, so you can see what goes where. 

Example:

image.png.2e53b3db2ff03611d5a589442f8c2b37.png

That cable can be freed up from the messy bundle, and just be wrapped up some to go from the PSU to that plug directly.  

There are at least a couple cords in there that aren't being used, once they're separated, you could stuff them on top of the CD Rom Drive, out of the way.

image.png.96520b96173367890af221bedc92c4bf.png

But also, as mentioned, you need new thermal paste on the CPU, since you removed the HSF.

Otherwise, it is what it is, there isn't a lot of change you can make to this system to improve things.

19 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Most of what I would consider your everyday computing and office prebuilts are built pretty well. Honestly, I would trust an OEM like Dell or HP over a small computer shop that would cheap out on things like cases and PSUs. And that is something that occurs more often than you would think. 

In terms of the PCMR community being hard on prebuilts, part of it is definitely history. Especially in the early to mid 2000s, prebuilts were built using components that weren't the best (BestTec PSUs were notorious to literally catching on fire). And back then sales reps were a lot less knowledgeable and trust worthy when it came to recommending gaming PCs (or really PCs in general). You could argue that issue still exists today but it's miles better than what things were like 15 years ago. It's been shown time and time again that for a midrange gaming PC, it's pretty hard to beat OEMs these days. By building it yourself, you're not saving a whole lot of money if any and you do not get the added bonus of having a single point of contact for warranty support. If something goes wrong, you're phoning the component manufacturers yourself and troubleshooting the system yourself. So there's definitely some unfair dirt being thrown at OEMs by the PCMR community. 

I kind of sensed that the older pc gamers had experienced poor quality pre-builts over the years and that has led to the distrust and distaste for anything to do with them.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Unfortunately it isn't...

I look at the stores,they are just bad.

The majority of them have cheap motherboards with no heatsinks for the VRMs,2400MHz RAM,cheap DRAM-less QLC SSDs,and bad airflow.

This one is fairly bad:

Hide contents

HP just let's the VRMs and chipset run naked...

And not to talk about that the RAM is single channel.

30-1080.4059630146.jpg

Bare silicon:

34-1080.2257941991.jpg

I'm afraid I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Please, explain to me so I can learn as I'm a total beginner in all this.

I'm just curious what are the hardware specs for that pc?

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If it was me I'd just bundle all the cables together as neat as you can and zip tie them.

I think lots of times in prebuilts the companies lay out these systems without too much cooling because they plan for the temps.

The hardware is often much lower end or custom factory made for that line of machines.

So an HP desktop for example might not really generate as much heat as something put together off the shelf for gaming.

Cleanse its dirty soul with fire 😂 not much you can do there. Prebuilts arent meant to look nice on the inside very often. 

On 9/16/2020 at 8:12 PM, BlackRose said:

Bit more context.

This a prebuilt pc.

This is only the second time my case has been opened up and the first time Ive seen whats inside. Why? My parents forbade us(me&my brother) from ever opening up the case incase we would break anything inside. The only other time it was opened up was in 2017 when the GPU(GTX 1050ti) was installed. So please pardon the dust, i have tried to clean it to the best of my abilities with a paintbrush (cant afford a datavac & regular vaccum cleaner makes too much noise @4 am) 

I opened the pc because it was making noises worse than a horny bison and when i opened it up i was greeted with cities of dust and bridges made of cobwebs. I cleaned as much as i could(couldn't get everything, again. Paintbrush)

And cable management so bad if i were to slit my throat right now i would be sent to hell for the CM even tough i didn't do it. 

Here are the pictures so i dont have to die inside alone.

Pic one is the before of the CPU cleaning (you can see some of the horrible cable management.

Pic 2 is the cable management,how bad it was when i opened up the case and a clan CPU(no i didn't apply new thermal paste i dont have it lying around. Yes you can grill me for that)

Pic 3&4 are just me putting everything back in their place and trying to do my best to make sure the cables dont get more fucked up.

I am NOT a pc builder. I have NEVER opened up a pc before. I have no experience with this sort of thing. I have just tried my best and i dont even know if the pc will power on anymore because i have tampered with it. I could certainly use some help here.

20200917_041009.jpg

20200917_043337.jpg

20200917_051350.jpg

20200917_051406.jpg

as every boomer says "God Bless This Mess"

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

Okay I'm not going to be as downer as some of the others here are, but they're not entirely wrong.  There are a LOT of limits to what you can do here.

But you can definitely make a difference inside:

Okay, here's what I would do:

One, buy some zip strips, the tiny ones are fine for inside the case.
Amazon.com: DNF 1000 PACK 6"Inch Zip Tie Black Cable Wire Ziptie Plastic  Cord Organizer Wrap: Home Improvement

Two, unplug everything related to the PSU (And SATA Cables) from inside the case:

image.png.6a51b667f420b77f1dbf55f0e936fb27.png

Unplug all the cables in the Orange bubbles.  They're plenty easy to unhook.  (The tall bubble over the bundle of wires?  The main 24 pin, or whatever pins that system has, should be under it.

NOTE:  Do NOT start unplugging the super thin cords at the very bottom of the motherboard  (The ones under the Red Box.)  They're way more annoying to deal with plugging back in.  But you can probably route them a little better once the mess of PSU wires is out of the way.

Once everything is unplugged, start trying to separate out the cords individually, so you can see what goes where. 

Example:

image.png.2e53b3db2ff03611d5a589442f8c2b37.png

That cable can be freed up from the messy bundle, and just be wrapped up some to go from the PSU to that plug directly.  

There are at least a couple cords in there that aren't being used, once they're separated, you could stuff them on top of the CD Rom Drive, out of the way.

image.png.96520b96173367890af221bedc92c4bf.png

But also, as mentioned, you need new thermal paste on the CPU, since you removed the HSF.

Otherwise, it is what it is, there isn't a lot of change you can make to this system to improve things.

h110m isnt that old, still usable in many ways.

1st fix the red fan cable, route around / under mobo, same to 4 pin cpu cable

2nd honestly get a new psu....

3rd rubber band all visable bundles

then remove / cut all unused cables