What's the best Ultrabook/Laptop?

orangecat

I currently have a pretty fast desktop PC but I want a laptop similar to a MacBook Pro without the cost of a Apple product. I have been looking at the Asus ZenBook lineup but I can't figure out their naming and whatnot. They don't make it easy to understand what one is the highest end and what one has certain features. I am looking for a laptop that has these specs...

Specs: 

CPU: Quad Core 1.5~2.5Ghz

RAM: 4~8GB

GPU: Dedicated Nvidia or switchable graphics.

HDD/SSD: Must have a 500~1TB HDD and room for a SSD

Screen: Full HD IPS display

OS: I don't care if it comes with windows 8 I will put windows 7 on it.

Formfactor: must be thin like a MacBook Pro.

Extra notes:

I don't care if it has a DVD drive or not. I must be able to play simple games like Minecraft on it. It must have fast wireless. It must have USB 3.0. It must not have a glossy display but its not a dealbreaker. I don't care if it does not comes with a SSD but I do want the ability to add one later on.

Having a discrete GPU and IPS HD screen limits your choices a bit. A few of the Zenbooks have both but won't have a HDD and SSD, some have a hybrid drive (HDD with SDD cache) and some have 2 SSDs. You can't really open these ultrabooks up, and even so they use a custom SSDs/HDDs that you can't buy to put in yourself.

Something like the Zenbook UX52VS, U500VS, UX42VS are really the only ones that most closely fit your need

You seem to be making some very strange demands. 2 HDD/SSD's in one device only happens on 17" laptops and sometimes on big 15" laptops. It's impossible to get it on a small laptop, unless you find a laptop which starts with a regular HDD and a mSATA chaching SSD, which you can replace with a bigger one and use as a boot drive. However, this usually happens on low-end ultrabooks, without a good screen.

Also, don't limit your screens to IPS only, there are quite some mobile TN screens that are way better than IPS screens.

CPU-wise, ultrabooks don't have Quad Core options. Also, Minecraft and similar games should run fine on standard built in graphics, unless they are not optimised enough.

SOME OPTIONS:

Samsung Series 7. 2mm thicker than the macbook pro, so probably not noticable. Full Quad Core i7 CPU @2.4Ghz. 8GB of RAM. AMD 8870m, which is on par with the GTX 670m. 1080p TN display with a picture that's close to the Macbook Pro. 1TB 5400rpm HDD, which unfortunately can't be replaced too easily, but I bet you'll be able to do it. All this performance and thin formfactor comes at a price, at €1700.

Dell XPS 15. Thin, full i7, 640m,1080p screen,... Does seem to have serious wireless and throttling problems.

UX51VS/UX52VS. 1080p IPS panel, full i7, 650m, 512GB SSD, but it's a propietary format, so you can't replace them at all. €2000

You seem to be asking quite a bit from your laptop, so this is the best I can do. If you don't mind a laptop that's a little thicker, or less performance (especially the CPU, you can get an AMD quad core 1.5Ghz CPU in a laptop for €400, but you can also get a 2.4 Ghz Intel quad core i7 in a laptop for €1000. Dual core i5 and ULV i7 CPU's perform way better than the AMD quad core CPU)

The only reason I ask this much from a laptop is because Apple did it with the new MacBook pro's and I see no reason why a PC manufacture can't make a premium laptop also I have seen really high end laptops in the past but I have never been a laptop kind of guy I like my performance.

check out the Asus S46C, it has a 635m and 1tb of storage. I like it and its very thin and fast like an ultrabook should be.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD