Downgrading from windows 10 pro to home

WestTexan

Hii. I have unactivated windows 10 pro on my PC. I bought a Windows 10 Home Key. I cant use the key because I have windows 10 pro. Anyways, I found this tutorial on youtube which I will be doing later tonight. I just have one question, before I ask. I'll link the video and also type all the steps which he said to do.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTjLd57QgDY

Here are the steps he gave :

Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Change these registry keys:

Product name = Windows 10 Home

Edition id = core

Navigate to:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Change these registry keys:

Product name = windows 10 Home

Edition id = core

Download media creation tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softw...

Mount Windows ISO and install Windows 10 Home

My question is,  I downloaded the windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft website here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Can I skip the download windows media creation tool and get the ISO file through windows media creation tool and instead just mount the ISO I downloaded last night? 

Thanks!

I have limited wifi, this is why I am asking. The only step I want to skip is getting the ISO through windows media creation tool

You can just fresh install.

Yes you can use the ISO and burn it with RUFUS to USB.

This is preferable as media creation tools can sometime crashed and you need to redo the process.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Do a clean install and choose the right version from the beginning.

Use the media creation tool, there's no reason not to.

It lets you choose what windows version you want.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

15 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can just fresh install.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do a clean install and choose the right version from the beginning.

Are you 2 not recommending installing windows this way? I'd prefer not to do a clean install and lose my files

This maybe helpful.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/downgrade-from-windows-10-pro-to-home/345f5464-cb7a-44b3-8856-237cbec072c8?auth=1

Anyway why you wanna downgrade?

You can use windows pro as is without activating.

There's no penalty aside from loosing optional features.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This maybe helpful.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/downgrade-from-windows-10-pro-to-home/345f5464-cb7a-44b3-8856-237cbec072c8?auth=1

Because I just bought a windows 10 home key but my pc is using windows 10 pro (unactivated)

I want to get rid of the watermark at the bottom right of my screen

14 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This maybe helpful.

Thanks for the link.That is what I'll be trying

You should've got the OEM key for $10.

well good luck.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

You should've got the OEM key for $10.

well good luck.

Thank you!

Hopefully it works, if it does not.I'll be doing a clean install

Thanks for the help

2 hours ago, WestTexan said:

Are you 2 not recommending installing windows this way? I'd prefer not to do a clean install and lose my files

Put our files on cloud storage or a USB or something and then do a clean install and move them back.

A clean install is the proper way of changing OS, if you don't want to have problems in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Put our files on cloud storage or a USB or something and then do a clean install and move them back.

A clean install is the proper way of changing OS, if you don't want to have problems in the future.

I have a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

I was thinking of putting all my files on the HDD

I have a few things on the SSD that needs to be moved.

After I do that,  can I unplug the HDD and do a clean install with only the SSD in my PC?

And then plug it back in.Can it be that simple? 

6 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

After I do that,  can I unplug the HDD and do a clean install with only the SSD in my PC?

It would be that simple indeed. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

2 hours ago, WestTexan said:

Yup!

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Enderman said:

Yup!

22 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

It would be that simple indeed. :)

Wow, that is amazing. I will be doing that! Thank you guys