I need pc turn off and on repeatedly, not restart

vaklaf118

Hello,

I need my PCs to turn off and on repeatedly for SSD testing, it can't be just restarted. Do anyone know about anything? I thought maybe some software could do it over WOL, or some arduino/rpi program? Couldn't really find anything. Thanks for any answer!

turning off is the easy part, but you'd need something like wakeonlan to turn the pc back on. So you'd need another pc to take care of that. Perhaps a scheduling system. Same for turning off, just schedule it for every 2~ mins.

You could hook one end of a relay to an arduino or something similar and hook the other end of it to the PCs power button header. Then you'd basically have an arduino controlled power button. The only thing left would be to write an according program on the arduino and your basically done.

To make it a bit more fail proof you could let the arduino sense the voltage from the power led button (or a similar header that carries voltage, if the system is turned on), so it knows whether the PC is turned on or off.

I agree Wake On LAN is probably the easiest, if your system supports it and is on a network.

Some motherboards have a  "start up on power" setting or something like that in the bios, which means the system will turn on when power is available. So, as soon as you plug the computer in it can turn on. Then, you can get a normal outlet timer to turn the power off and on again to trigger the computer to start. Or something more fancy like an Alexa smart outlet. Just check the power/current capabilities of timers to make sure they're good enough.

52 minutes ago, cachethrash said:

I agree Wake On LAN is probably the easiest, if your system supports it and is on a network.

Some motherboards have a  "start up on power" setting or something like that in the bios, which means the system will turn on when power is available. So, as soon as you plug the computer in it can turn on. Then, you can get a normal outlet timer to turn the power off and on again to trigger the computer to start. Or something more fancy like an Alexa smart outlet. Just check the power/current capabilities of timers to make sure they're good enough.

I don't think that shutting the PC down this way is a good idea. I'd prefer a regular shutdown, especially for SSD testing.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:53 AM, startrek03 said:

I don't think that shutting the PC down this way is a good idea. I'd prefer a regular shutdown, especially for SSD testing.

Like GenericFanboy said, shutting down is the easy part, you can do it while remoted in to the machine, or automated with a script or something like that. The outlet switch would be to cut the power after the machine is off, then turn it back on, prompting the machine to boot back up. Definitely clunky but simpler than an arduino or something. Just pressing the power button is another option 😂