Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blbabs2

Power surges from launching graphic heavy content

Posted · Original PosterOP

About 6 months ago I started to encounter this problem. Whenever I launch a game or sometimes even a website my computer will just shut down and start back up as if nothing happened. I get no error messages or anything after logging back in. Initially I was under the impression that it was an issue with the psu but I played around with things a bit to see if I could be sure that was the problem. I disabled asus anti surge, reset all my overclocking, and made sure everything was up to do date. After all of that the issue still persisted. Finally for no reason at all I decided to swap my 980ti out with my old 760 and that seemed to fix the issue, but I still don't know for sure what the cause of the problem is. Is my graphics card failing or is it just trying to draw to more power than my psu can output because of some sort of defect? I'm really confused and at my limit for troubleshooting the issue. I want this fixed asap because it's quite frustrating and I don't want to waste money or time on unnecessary gear.

Computer shuts down during the launch of CSGO, Fall Guys, The Witcher 3. I havent even attempted much else

I can run Brawlhalla and thats all I know if

The website the shuts it down is currently being advertised on spotify and it's called day1 club.   https://day1club.byspotify.com/

• OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? Windows 10 Pro
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system? Windows 7 Pro
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)? Full retail
  • Age of system (hardware) Everything except the graphics card and cpu is 7yrs old. The cpu and gpu are 5yrs old
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Upgraded to windows 10 when it was released
  • CPU model - Intel i7-4790k
  • Video Card model - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Sc
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) Asus Maximus VI Hero
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this) Seasonic SS-760XP2 760W
  • System Manufacturer - Myself
  • Exact model number (if OEM or laptop)
  • Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

Sounds like you are tripping the over current protection of your PSU. I know some older Seasonic PSUs had issues with high transient power draw with GPUs, but I don't know if your model is affected by this issue.

[4] Seasonic Focus based units made prior to Jan 2018 had incompatibility issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega, source. Does not apply to renewed OneSeasonic SKUs

BabyBlu (Primary Rig): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ Per Core 5.2Ghz, 5.2Ghz, 5.2Ghz, 5.2Ghz, 5.1Ghz, 5.1Ghz, 5.0Ghz, 5.0Ghz; Cache @ 4.8Ghz; 0 AVX offset
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 CL14 @ 4000Mhz 16-18-18-36
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: 3x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Monitor: Dell S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165 Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Elite/MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ Per Core 5.0Ghz - 5.0Ghz - 4.9Ghz - 4.8Ghz, Cache @ 4.6Ghz, De-lidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4GB DDR3-2133 CL9 @ 2200Mhz 9-11-10-22
  • PSU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Gaming ICX
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, With Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Monitor: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Curved Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: Rosewill RK 9000V2(Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BlackBox (HTPC):

• Intel Core i7 6700 slightly under-volted
  • Asus H110T/CSM Thin Mini-ITX
  • G.Skill 1x8GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM CL16
  • iGPU
  • Akasa Euler Fanless Solid Aluminum THIN Mini ITX Case (passively cooled)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
  • External 120W Power Adaptor
  • 4K TV
  • Passively cooled by the Akasa case. No moving parts!
  • Handheld QWERTY keyboard and trackpad.
  • Windows 10 Pro, Kodi autostarts on boot

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space
13 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Sounds like you are tripping the over current protection of your PSU. I know some older Seasonic PSUs had issues with high transient power draw with GPUs, but I don't know if your model is affected by this issue.

I've ran the 980ti for years, shouldnt this have been an issue from the first time I plugged in the 980ti? How does something like this just happen?

7 minutes ago, Blbabs2 said:

I've ran the 980ti for years, shouldnt this have been an issue from the first time I plugged in the 980ti? How does something like this just happen?

You said its 7 years old, it has a 7 year warranty, so could very well be failing.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

37 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You said its 7 years old, it has a 7 year warranty, so could very well be failing.

So I guess the safest and cheapest option here would be just to replace the psu?