LAN File transfering speed too slow, 10 MB/s or slower

Go to solution Solved by RageTester,

If it's slow with different cable it's most likely some software issue...

1) Update your network drivers. Also make sure you network card is set to full duplex and not half duplex.

http://www.home-network-help.com/speed-and-duplex.html

DO NOT use 'Auto' as that may negotiate you to half duplex and limit your speed to ~10Mbit/sec

2) Go to the Ethernet controller in Device Manager, and under Advanced, disable "Large Send Offload".

UPDATE: updated Laptop's network driver, speed went to 80 MB/s

explorer_qwBHTwlNJy.jpg.7759437caa5511ee7ebf8878a0ad5bfc.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I'm transfering files from my laptop to my desktop, but I can't seem to get a speed bigger than 10MB/s.

I'm transfering a 1GB file and this is what it looks like:

chrome_68VhohypS0.jpg.4bf43875160ce09f1b11c2f11d02468c.jpg

Transfer speed with cat7 LAN cables

explorer_jBNd4yYh7N.jpg.2ad4024a8c9c82403dd87b10fc2e72e9.jpg

Transfer speed over WiFi

Here is the setup:

LAPTOP > LAN CABLE > ROUTER > LAN CABLE > DESKTOP

Laptop: this one, Windows 10

Laptop SSD: I'll asume the read speed is over 400 MB/s

Laptop Network card: Speed 1.0 Gbps (by going to "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections", right clicking Status on the Ethernet adapter, not sure if the correct place to look)

Cable1: cat7 from laptop to router

Router: Archer C7, Wireless Speed 1300 Mbps, Gigabit LAN ports

Cable2: cat7 from router to desktop

Desktop: Windows 10

Desktop Network Card: Speed 1.0 Gbps

Desktop SSD: over 500MB/s write speed

Where could be the problem that I'm getting only 5 or 10 MB/s (80 Mbps) where I should be getting a theoretical 125 MB/s (1 Gbps)? I have disconnected my laptop from any WiFi networks, so I'm sure it's using the LAN cable to connect to the router.

My internet speed is 20 Mbps so I can't give you information about how is the download speed experience there for faster speeds.

If you need more info ask me.

Thanks for the help.

12 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Not sure maybe the cable is a fake cat7... Have you tried setting up a file server?

Could they?

Here they are:

the 3M IBRA cat7 is the one connected to the computer, 8€

the 0.5M UGREEN cat7 is the one connected to the laptop 3€

I also used a Cat5e cable from my laptop to my router, same thing

If one of the cable was a fake and it was a Cat5, sure, the speed would match, but if it was Cat5e, then it wouldn't.

But, the same happens over wifi, there is no hardware to fake there.

No, I haven never tried to set up an FTP, it was a bit confusing and I gave up. But do I need to? Shouldn't drag&drop on win10 just work fine at the speed the hardware allows?

chrome_kRUo4VJ9l8.jpg

chrome_M8bI5xl8Sr.jpg

1) Update your network drivers. Also make sure you network card is set to full duplex and not half duplex.

DO NOT use 'Auto' as that may negotiate you to half duplex and limit your speed to ~10Mbit/sec

2) Go to the Ethernet controller in Device Manager, and under Advanced, disable "Large Send Offload".

That's 50~100Mb/s

1 hour ago, Plushfire5 said:

Could they?

Here they are:

the 3M IBRA cat7 is the one connected to the computer, 8€

the 0.5M UGREEN cat7 is the one connected to the laptop 3€

I also used a Cat5e cable from my laptop to my router, same thing

If one of the cable was a fake and it was a Cat5, sure, the speed would match, but if it was Cat5e, then it wouldn't.

But, the same happens over wifi, there is no hardware to fake there.

No, I haven never tried to set up an FTP, it was a bit confusing and I gave up. But do I need to? Shouldn't drag&drop on win10 just work fine at the speed the hardware allows?

chrome_kRUo4VJ9l8.jpg

chrome_M8bI5xl8Sr.jpg

1 star reviews are your friend:

Don't think there CAT 7, I don't get the 400 mb straight from my hub

Not really as good or fast as my Cat6 cable that I bought 5 years ago. My Cat6 cable is 10 meters long and can achieve 97.5Mbs download and 5.2Mbs upload on my PlayStation 4 pro. When I use this cable which is only 2 meters long I get 75.5Mbs download and 4.5Mbs upload.

Didn't think it was possible to make an ethernet cable this slow. Apparently, it is.

There are a lot of paid 5 star reviews out there,you can only trust 1 star reviews to tell you the honest truth.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

20 hours ago, RageTester said:

Thank you. I updated both drivers which I believed could be the network cards on my desktop, both up to date. I updated both drivers on my laptop, and only one "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" was apparently out of date. I made a file transfer test at every change, and after updating this driver, it went to 80 MB/s (most of the time).

Now, I also tried over WiFi this time, and, while there was a small improvement, the speed is still too low, just 15 MB/s, and the wireless driver is up to date.

These are screenshots from the laptop:

1.jpg.e38d440418072611cb35a7939cb6d1f7.jpg

There is the wireless adapter, "Qualcomm Atheros"

2.jpg.cbc631c06a5196e4882b60e6b13f3f70.jpg

3.jpg.4bae3963590036cf94bc760e2b623831.jpg

The speed I get after updating all drivers, and doing the things you recommended, setting "Speed & Duplex" to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" and all possible network adapters (both on the desktop and the Realtek on the laptop), and also disabled the "Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4)" on all possible network adapters.

5.jpg.ab13870a7405a09f2bb4c06c62c33070.jpg

6.jpg.dec357634e71723eb304cb84b2df51aa.jpg

But, the wireless adapter doesn't have any of those options there, so I made no changes.

4.jpg.06f02c1a02b021aadeebb16952a93bca.jpg

Now, I went to the manufacturer's site and tried to look for the drivers. The computer came with Linux I believe, and I remember having trouble with the graphic drivers, I had to remove the updates and not update it never cause most games wont work (15 fps on Sekiro, others would just be a blank screen, etc.). So, maybe I need to uninstall the Wireless driver and install the first version available? But there are 2 options, and I'm not sure which one to use

7.jpg.2ba9b09bf9c55178551e181e4f16bd6b.jpg

Or maybe I need to do something else to improve file transfering speed over WiFi, any ideas?

EDIT: Also tried using right now a USB WiFi adapter with 450 Mbps, this one, also installed the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site and also tried to update with windows update, and it was up to date. Made a test and I got 12 MB/s. Is this normal for wireless file transfer or am I missing something? My router can transfer at 1300 Mbps. And yes, I made sure to use "WiFi 2" using the new adaptor, and disconnected with my integrated wireless adaptor.

TL;DR: Integrated wireless adapter = 15 MB/s , USB WiFi = 12 MB/s

With wifi we are back into possibility of physical problem, because walls and whatnot can block the signal... you could be connecting to 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz...

Wired connection is always more reliable so just stick with it when doing important things.

On 8/13/2020 at 4:12 PM, RageTester said:

With wifi we are back into possibility of physical problem, because walls and whatnot can block the signal... you could be connecting to 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz...

Wired connection is always more reliable so just stick with it when doing important things.

Not the case; the router is literally 10cm away from the laptop, since I have to place it close due my LAN cable being 0.5m meters long. And no, I'm pretty sure I'm connecting to 5 Ghz, I checked. Yeah, wired connection is more reliable but WiFi should work just as fine, and I don't wanna having to connect the cable just to transfer a few files, I'd like to open the laptop somewhere on the desk and just grab them from my desktop.

Hope somebody knows where could be the problem.