Sound Not Working On Windows 10

billhelm

I have a Thinkpad T510, and the speakers do not work most of the time. Sometimes they do work, and most of the time, they don't. Headphones do work however.

As the photo shows, the computer does not think that the headphones are plugged in.

I tried reinstalling the driver, and windows troubleshooting, but those did not work.

image.png.fa9a62d9e268292d7980af09399d3153.png

I don't know how this particular laptop is constructed, but it's possible that the speaker connector on the mainboard is barely contacting the speaker wires. So, if you put the laptop down a certain way, you flex the mainboard in such a way that causes barely-good-enough contact. Otherwise, it's an open speaker circuit. If you feel comfortable digging around in your laptop's guts, you can try and find the speaker wires and where they connect to the mainboard. I don't know if this is the real issue, but I have seen this happen before. Worth looking into...

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

M$ is know for not having any odd drivers available. Get that error all the time. Linux on the other hand, seems to always have a driver available. My new touch screen tablet and laptop both run with Linux just fine.