Liquid Freezer II LGA1150 issues

SwitchDC
Go to solution Solved by SwitchDC,
15 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Your probably correct in someway. Have you check how well your TIM spread?

The TIM was spread somewhat good. It's probably not spreading as much due to the warp in the socket area.

15 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Try some spacers on the back side if you think its low mounting pressure. Just dont over do it again :D

Spacers wouldn't work in this case because the standoffs on the socket side are completely flush with the mobo. It worked on the previous cooler because the standoffs were different.

In any case thanks for the answers. I'll be upgrading the system soon anyway so this mobo will go out the window :D

So I've just bought a Liquid Freezer II 240 and I installed it per instructions in the manual. As soon as I did a stress test to see the temps on my 4790K I was shocked when I saw them reach 100°C. 

I rechecked everything to see if I forgot to tighten or install anything but everything was fine. Fans were spinning normally and the pump was at 100%.

My settings and hardware at the time of the test:

4790K 4.4GHz@1.2V

Asus Z97 - Pro Gamer mobo

2x8GB HyperX DDR3 1866Mhz

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240

XFX XTR 650W

Enthoo Luxe - 2x140mm(front), 1x140mm(rear), AIO(top)

I'm wondering if this is an issue with my motherboard or socket or cpu. I used to have a Cryorig R1 Ultimate on which the mount got a bit loose so I had to make it work DIY style.

When I took the LF240 down to see the mount it seemed like it wasn't making complete contact with the CPU die which got me thinking that I might have warped my mobo with the previous cooler - bent the socket inward.

Also at stock my 4790K on the LF240 runs at ~65°C. I was testing with Cinebench r20

If anyone has any insight into this I'd appreciate it a lot.

Try some spacers on the back side if you think its low mounting pressure. Just dont over do it again :D

15 hours ago, narrdarr said:

The TIM was spread somewhat good. It's probably not spreading as much due to the warp in the socket area.

15 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Spacers wouldn't work in this case because the standoffs on the socket side are completely flush with the mobo. It worked on the previous cooler because the standoffs were different.

In any case thanks for the answers. I'll be upgrading the system soon anyway so this mobo will go out the window :D