32 inch vs 27 inch (4k vs 1440p) (60hz vs 144+hz)

RagnarLB

I currently have a 32 inch 4K Predator with GSYNC (only 60hz) powered by a 1080ti card that I bought back in 2018.  Destiny 2 looks fantastic on it, I just wish it was 144hz. 

Now that my son is older he is on my gaming computer a lot so I built a new rig/workstation for myself powered by a 2080 Super.  I work at home full time (IT work) and I'm using a browser/email/Office most of the day but game at night.  I'm currently using three old Dell 24" monitors (1080p/60hz) and I'm looking to upgrade my main monitor to 27 inches.  I'm stuck between a 1440p@144hz or waiting until a 4K@144hz becomes more affordable.

My only concern is that at 27 inches 4k may be overkill (I sit about 30 inches/75cm) from the monitor.  On my current 32 inch I scale Windows 10 at 150% and it's tolerable but I have to sit a little further back at times. 

I'm not going to lie I need reading glasses (1.5X) just to read most monitors (getting older sucks). I prefer an IPS panel since I'm going to be staring at this a good chunk of the day.

I've decided I don't have the space for 32 inches, so do I wait for 4K 27 inches at 144hz (or more) becomes affordable or is 27 inches overkill at 4k? 

besides what the hole in your wallet would say, I would say wait until 4k@144hz. You might also try a 2k display, I run a 2009 27" iMac in TDM as a monitor solution and it runs 2k and it's just the right balance of size, crisp display, and looks. Of course, that's not related to the question you asked but I know 2k 144Hz aren't hard to come by these days and may fit your needs. I definitely think if you're used to a 32 inch display that 27" is the standard "big monitor" people get so I don't say it's overkill, but until the price is right I don't know how long you'll be waiting

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W