Ryzen 3900x high temperatures HELP

Hi Guys, 

New to the forum so please be easy on me. 

I have an Asus ROG Strix B550-I mobo in a NZXT H1 case with the included 140mm AIO and 650w PSU. For some reason my temperatures are running hot at idle and when gaming. My max temp I've hit while gaming is about 76c. My idle temps are about 44-53 range. I've watched Jayztwocents 3900x overclocking guide and lowered my CPU voltage to 1.3v, manually set the CPU to 3.8ghz so it doesn't fluctuate and cause higher temps, disabled PBO, set my fan curve to 100% all of the time and still I can not get these temps down. Looking at other threads and videos, it should be around 32c idle and 55c while gaming running this setup. What am I missing here? The UEFI bios update is different than in the Jayz video since his video was a while ago so some of the settings are labeled differently and I don't know enough to translate what it used to be to what it is now. I do have D.O.C.P. enabled only to get the RAMs normal usage which is 3466Mhz. I am worried that over time this will diminish the CPU running this hot and degrade it much faster. Attached is a screenshot of HWinfo showing the idle temps that have been logging since I have been typing this and the computer being on for about an hour. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Capture.JPG

your temps are more then fine, the jayz2cent video that says it idles at high voltages and that's why is hot, is wrong. these are high voltages and low current, and you may end up with higher voltage under load, clear the cmos and re set that under volt, nothing wrong with your cpu.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Try running something CPU intensive, like continuous Cinebench R20 runs, (at least 10 minutes, longer if you're on water), where does the temperatures end up?

A significantly worse case test is prime95 (small - highest CPU heat), if it doesn't hit 95c during that, you're good.

Actually, 76c running 1,3v seems reasonable.

However 1,3 volts seems like a lot of juice when you're only getting 3,8ghz.

I'd imagine you could drop to 1,2v and lock the chip at 4,2 ghz. (*Edit 4,2 might be a little too high, fairly certain 4,1 will work though. Worst case scenario, it'll run 4.0). Should lower temps a bit and give you more of the performance you paid for. Depends on silicon lottery though so can't give you specifics.

Don't celebrate voltage / ghz combinations too early, test if they're stable before you get excited. A preliminary pass (like 10 minutes) of cinebench, just to see if it craches and to verify that scores are going up/down when you actually change the frequency. And like hours of p95 to actually verify settings you'd consider running permanently.

@TofuHaroto

I did a BIOS flashback and only modified the RAM settings to get it to 3466 and set the CPU voltage and ratio. Didn't touch anything else. Should I still flash it again? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but that doesn't seem necessary. When you say re set that undervolt, what would you recommend?  

@AndersWSP

Thanks for the info! I'll try running this and seeing how  it goes. Just bugs me that other people can get their temps down to 31c at idle and I can't get mine to go below 43-44c. 

1 hour ago, j0nnicage said:

When you say re set that undervolt,

By re set the undervolt I mean remove it. 

Clear the cmos because there's nothing wrong with your cpu. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

• 1 month later...

Hi j0nnicage

I have the same build as yours, and the same problem, I just build my system, what bother me most is the temps; I did everything, and I can not lower it down, I just order a mod of rear two fan as an exhaust from this guy https://artesianbuilds.com/case-mods-parts#!/EARLYBIRD-NZXT-H1-Rear-Fan-Bracket-Adds-2X-140mm-Exhaust-Fan-Mounts/p/222208020 ,I hope this will help. As you said other build get there temp in idle as 39C mine is 52-60, However  when I game example rise of the tomb it get 65-69C wich is very good in my opinion, But in idle, 52-60 it's not good at all.

Please let me know if get any solution to this problem