PC Doesn't shut down.

WunkusMcDunkus

Hey guys. I have a slight issue with my PC again. (Beginning to think this thing doesn't like me)

When shutting down through Windows 10, the monitor goes to no signal and CPU fan goes to max speed. Then it just stays there. Does not actually turn off.

I can turn it off by holding the front panel on/off button for 5sec but I don't want to continue doing this in case I damage something or corrupt data.

Since this has started I also get a similar issue when powering on.

Turns on, CPU fan to max but no output. but in this scenario it cannot be turned off at all, it must be done at the PSU switch. (again, not something I want to be doing)

Sometimes it takes more than 10 cycles of this happening for it to boot into Windows, sometimes it works first time.

When the PC boots into W10 after this happening I never have any internet. And the PC has to be restarted through Windows to connect to the internet.

These do not happen every time the system is turned on or off. The power on issue has happened for a few months and the shutting down issue has been happening the past week or so.

I know it is not the GPU as I have swapped it out and problem has continued.

Specs

W10                   1TB WD BLUE 7200RPM

R5 2600             1050ti / RX 570

GA A320M-S2H V2    550w Corsair PSU

All on latest drivers and updates.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? 

I think your internet and power issue might be related.  Look at your bios and windows power options for something referring to "allow this device to turn off/on this computer" under your network adapter. It sounds like it's waiting for a remote signal to power on/off the device.

I've dealt with systems refusing to power down, I've dealt with systems refusing to power on, but I've never dealt with a system refusing to power both off & on, and the Ethernet dying when it does turn on.

In an instance like this if you aren't running any overclock I'd start by hooking up a known good PSU and see how it behaves. It could have something to do with RAM if you want something faster/easier to test. You can swap them out or use just 1 stick. Move that stick around if the issue persists.

32 minutes ago, br0dy said:

I think your internet and power issue might be related.  Look at your bios and windows power options for something referring to "allow this device to turn off/on this computer" under your network adapter. It sounds like it's waiting for a remote signal to power on/off the device.

Just checked. Nothing like that is enabled

13 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I've dealt with systems refusing to power down, I've dealt with systems refusing to power on, but I've never dealt with a system refusing to power both off & on, and the Ethernet dying when it does turn on.

In an instance like this if you aren't running any overclock I'd start by hooking up a known good PSU and see how it behaves. It could have something to do with RAM if you want something faster/easier to test. You can swap them out or use just 1 stick. Move that stick around if the issue persists.

Turned off XMP and problem still happens. This has happened before PSU and RAM upgrades but has gotten worse over time. So I wouldn't say it's related to that.

I'm thinking MB or HDD. But neither really has a reason to be playing up. System was fine out of the box 1 year ago.

1 hour ago, WunkusMcDunkus said:

Turned off XMP and problem still happens. This has happened before PSU and RAM upgrades but has gotten worse over time. So I wouldn't say it's related to that.

I'm thinking MB or HDD. But neither really has a reason to be playing up. System was fine out of the box 1 year ago.

Unless the HDD is having problems initializing it shouldn't stop the system from POSTing.

Does your motherboard have any debug LEDs or POST codes it displays when it doesn't want to turn on?

14 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Unless the HDD is having problems initializing it shouldn't stop the system from POSTing.

Does your motherboard have any debug LEDs or POST codes it displays when it doesn't want to turn on?

1) When this issue is happening the hard drive light on the front panel doesn't light up if that helps

2) No it doesn't. This board is really budget.

4 hours ago, WunkusMcDunkus said:

1) When this issue is happening the hard drive light on the front panel doesn't light up if that helps

2) No it doesn't. This board is really budget.

That indicates read/write activity which you could test the next time it refuses to POST by unplugging and seeing if you're able to reach the BIOS on subsequent reboots.

Only other potential culprits are motherboard & CPU. Any chance you have another AM4 compatible motherboard around?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

That indicates read/write activity which you could test the next time it refuses to POST by unplugging and seeing if you're able to reach the BIOS on subsequent reboots.

Only other potential culprits are motherboard & CPU. Any chance you have another AM4 compatible motherboard around?

I'll try next time. This was happening on my old CPU but not as often, but I don't think it is related to the upgrade.

No spare MB but planning to upgrade in the next few months. If I could figure out what it is I'd upgrade that first.

5 minutes ago, WunkusMcDunkus said:

I'll try next time. This was happening on my old CPU but not as often, but I don't think it is related to the upgrade.

No spare MB but planning to upgrade in the next few months. If I could figure out what it is I'd upgrade that first.

Old CPU same motherboard?

We can explore booting a different OS like Ubuntu but since the problem not only occurs when shutting down the OS but also before the OS even loads I'm leaning towards this being a hardware issue.

Have we ruled out the GPU?

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Old CPU same motherboard?

We can explore booting a different OS like Ubuntu but since the problem not only occurs when shutting down the OS but also before the OS even loads I'm leaning towards this being a hardware issue.

Have we ruled out the GPU?

Yes, motherboard has never been changed on this system. 

I'll find another OS to test on. 

I know it isn't the GPU. Replaced it recently and the problem continues.

21 minutes ago, WunkusMcDunkus said:

Yes, motherboard has never been changed on this system. 

I'll find another OS to test on. 

I know it isn't the GPU. Replaced it recently and the problem continues.

We can try a BIOS update. Sometimes power control bugs are patched through there. Before you think about it though verify that your chipset doesn't drop support for you CPU. I don't think the A320 Chipset is affected by this but we don't want to chance it. Best to be certain.