Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saguaro

Lost in the world of USB-C - Will HDMI work over a DP certified port?

Use this guide and dont be dumb like me: 

Short answer to my question: Yes

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i have an Asus Strix III G531GU notebook and theres a USB-C port on it with a DisplaPort logo on the side.

Would the HDMI port work on a simple, non Thunderbolt 3 but DP capable C port?

Now I want to use this machine as a desktop replacement but I dont want to plug/unplug a lot of cables all the times I take the computer with me somewhere so I decided to buy a USB-C Hub to simplify my life.

The only problem is that there are so many types of cables and everything that I just can't tell wich one is going to work or not.

So the main thing would be to have a DipslayPort OR HDMI connector (I would use it with a 144Hz monitor, the HDMI connector on the back is only HDMI 1.2 so 120Hz max) and a USB hub(It would be great if it had RJ45 and an audio jack, but I dont know maybe I'm asking too much already).

Thank for your answer, here is a potato.

AL027-01_pomme_de_terre_0.jpg

DP can carry an HDMI and even VGA signal, so yes, it will work

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600k@5.0GHz | GPU 1: GTX 1660@2070MHz | GPU 2: GT 710 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480GB & Kingston UV400 120GB |  HDD: 2x 2TB WD Black | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 10 Pro

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120GB | OS: Debian Buster

Laptop [A hunk of shit]:

Model: MacBook Air Late 2010 | CPU: Core 2 Duo L9600 | RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1066MHz | OS: MacOS Catalina 

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

Use this guide and dont be dumb like me: 

Short answer to my question: Yes