SHOULD I BUY AN OVERHEATING GPU

newbie900000
Go to solution Solved by Semper,

I don't have any experience with RX480's (or, for that matter, with AMD since the HD 78xx series), but reading through some others' temps, 90°c doesn't appear to be outside the realm of normal range, at least for the stock blower style cooler (several different posts around the internet with ranges from the mid to high 80's, low to mid 90's), is this what you have?

I'd get in contact with the person that you purchased it from, see if he had similar experiences and/or temperatures, ask him if he ever did a thermal paste swap (or removed the cooler for any reason).

You can try replacing the thermal paste, if you do so properly, there shouldn't be any negatives to it, but I would leave it as is, for the time being, until you hear back from your seller.

You can also set custom fan curve profiles with something like Afterburner, it'll likely mean more noise, however.

I got an rx480 which is overheating atm. Should I change the thermal paste or do i just return it back to the seller (cause once i open the card the seller might not want it back and could there really be any other reason for overheating other than thermal paste itself?)

Can you define what you mean by overheating here? What exactly is happening that leads you to believe it's overheating?

Is the card new, used?

Do you have adequate airflow in your chassis? Does the cooler on your RX480 have room to breathe?

What are your ambient temperatures, and akin to my first question, what are your GPU temps?

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1 minute ago, Semper said:

Can you define what you mean by overheating here? What exactly is happening that leads you to believe it's overheating?

Is the card new, used?

Do you have adequate airflow in your chassis?

What are your ambient temperatures, and akin to my first question, what are your GPU temps?

Its reaching 90c at 100% utilization with games and furmark 

It's a used card seller says he had it laying for a year or two

There's no difference with the side panel off and even used an external fan

The ambient temps are at 20c 

I don't have any experience with RX480's (or, for that matter, with AMD since the HD 78xx series), but reading through some others' temps, 90°c doesn't appear to be outside the realm of normal range, at least for the stock blower style cooler (several different posts around the internet with ranges from the mid to high 80's, low to mid 90's), is this what you have?

I'd get in contact with the person that you purchased it from, see if he had similar experiences and/or temperatures, ask him if he ever did a thermal paste swap (or removed the cooler for any reason).

You can try replacing the thermal paste, if you do so properly, there shouldn't be any negatives to it, but I would leave it as is, for the time being, until you hear back from your seller.

You can also set custom fan curve profiles with something like Afterburner, it'll likely mean more noise, however.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB