Need help choosing a power supply

wegoodtbh
Go to solution Solved by Void Master,
23 minutes ago, wegoodtbh said:

As far as I am aware the power supply is "okay" for my current build but I would like some flexibility in over clocking. Should I keep my power supply or get another one? And if anyone knows any good power supplies under $100 I'd really appreciate it

I'd go for a CX 550m for a build like this it's a decent PSU with more than enough wattage. And if you can spend a bit more you can get a 5600xt it is on par with the RTX 2060. You get much more performance for your money this way.

So your build would look like this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cjtTk6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($72.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $892.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-04 15:21 EDT-0400

And looking at your current PSU, it more than enough tbh (between tier B and C, which is enough for the specs of your build) you can keep it and still get the most out of your PC. And don't worry about overclocking, it's not worth putting the effort into it. Your 3600 boosts really aggressively near it's limits anyways, and GPUs have GPU boost which is also pretty aggressive. 

Hello everyone I am pretty much done with my build all my parts are coming in soon but I am having second thoughts about my power supply. My knowledge on power supplies is wack so when I saw one go on stock on buildapcsales I impulse bought it because a lot of stuff is out of stock. 

Here is my current build list 
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LCXQHB

Here is the power supply I bought for $76
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WC79PPN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_G7maFb66PDXQ0

As far as I am aware the power supply is "okay" for my current build but I would like some flexibility in over clocking. Should I keep my power supply or get another one? And if anyone knows any good power supplies under $100 I'd really appreciate it

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

23 minutes ago, wegoodtbh said:

I'd go for a CX 550m for a build like this it's a decent PSU with more than enough wattage. And if you can spend a bit more you can get a 5600xt it is on par with the RTX 2060. You get much more performance for your money this way.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cjtTk6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($72.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $892.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-04 15:21 EDT-0400

And looking at your current PSU, it more than enough tbh (between tier B and C, which is enough for the specs of your build) you can keep it and still get the most out of your PC. And don't worry about overclocking, it's not worth putting the effort into it. Your 3600 boosts really aggressively near it's limits anyways, and GPUs have GPU boost which is also pretty aggressive. 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

2 hours ago, Void Master said:

Thank you for your detailed response.  I was strongly thinking about the 5600xt but I couldn't figure out which brand card to buy, because I've heard alot about driver issues and didn't really want the headache.

Is the gigabyte card you linked a good one? I am thinking about cancelling/returning the 1660s order. But Neweggs shitty return policy is holding me back. Please advise

12 hours ago, wegoodtbh said:

Thank you for your detailed response.  I was strongly thinking about the 5600xt but I couldn't figure out which brand card to buy, because I've heard alot about driver issues and didn't really want the headache.

Is the gigabyte card you linked a good one? I am thinking about cancelling/returning the 1660s order. But Neweggs shitty return policy is holding me back. Please advise

The 5600xt i linked is good enough, and AMD drivers are MUCH more stable than they used to be at launch. So there is nothing to worry about. Try to return the 1660s UNLESS you are streaming since it has the NVENC encoder.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !