Strange PSU modular cables

Hans Kelzen

I've just finish installing my first full modular psu then as I was checking my build I notice that the cables are kind of twisted, like they are not aligned.

Especially the mobo power cable and the cpu power cable. 

Because I don' have any experience in this matter, so I would like to know please, if everything is ok with my cables or if should return it.

Thank you very much.

PSU MODEL: Cooler Master V550 gold.

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Hans Kelzen said:

everything is ok

It's fine.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

it's normal, i agree it looks messy, and i find it unfortunate that manufacturers dont pay more attention to this... but they just do it this way.

Houston we don’t have a problem!

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Oh, that's unfortunately.

I was looking forward to make my build look nice and clean.

Looks great everything is normal. That style cable tends to be just like that when installed. Not great visually, but totally functional.

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

it's normal, i agree it looks messy, and i find it unfortunate that manufacturers dont pay more attention to this... but they just do it this way.

They can't because the cables are not one-to-one pinout.  They HAVE TO cross on either one side or the other, and then add to that the double wire pins where you have sense wires and pig tails.

19 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

They can't because the cables are not one-to-one pinout.  They HAVE TO cross on either one side or the other, and then add to that the double wire pins where you have sense wires and pig tails.

sure, they have to cross, but i hope you do agree that it could be neater than the above picture on the motherboard side.

corsair actually is fairly okay with this, the 24-pin on my power supply is made up of 4 "ribbons" you can sort of manage in a way they're mostly parallel. on the flip side, some brands choose to sleeve the 24-pin, which means whatever 'mess' comes out the sleeve, is what you're gonna see, and more often than not it's a complete mess.

not saying its negligence on the power supply manufacturer side, just saying there's more and less neat ways to do a 24-pin, and some brands (presumably for cost of manufacturing reasons) seem to just not give any attention to it at all.

also, i own one power supply that has a one-to-one pinout on the 24-pin. it creates a whole bunch of board design headache on the power supply side, but it's technically possible, although presumably not necessarily commercially viable.

18 minutes ago, manikyath said:

also, i own one power supply that has a one-to-one pinout on the 24-pin. it creates a whole bunch of board design headache on the power supply side, but it's technically possible, although presumably not necessarily commercially viable.

SilverStone, right?

Yeah.  Making the modular connector one to one is a huge PCB layout headache.  I mean, blame Intel for not grouping the +5V, +3.3V andn +12V wires together on the 24-pin.  :(

20 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

SilverStone, right?

Yeah.  Making the modular connector one to one is a huge PCB layout headache.  I mean, blame Intel for not grouping the +5V, +3.3V andn +12V wires together on the 24-pin.  :(

its an FSP unit actually, cant for the life of me remember what i pulled it out of... its some ancient flex-atx unit.

and the 24-pin connector compared to what OEM's can do with proprietary designs makes me hope 12VO eventually becomes the standard to replace 24-pin. i've done power supply swaps on HP desktops faster than i can pull a 24-pin out its socket... :|