Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MounirKalla

gtx 1070

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello . i recently got a used gtx 1070 a blower style ( asus turbo ) temps reach 83c on full load but it does not throttle . should i be concerned ?

83c is a little toasty but ultimately fine 

My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

@TofuHaroto so I can see your post 

I seek to max the letter count on every ... Single ... Site 

only the bravest are capable of such mission

Spoiler

Hi

thank you . i have another question . i tried to raise the fan speed but the temps stays the same and the gpu clock goes until 1900mhz . i think it has a auto boost . can i turn it off ?

22 minutes ago, MounirKalla said:

Hello . i recently got a used gtx 1070 a blower style ( asus turbo ) temps reach 83c on full load but it does not throttle . should i be concerned ?

why the hell u bought blower style card..those are worse out there....

The default thermal throttle temperature is in the low 80's so you're not far off. GPUs for a long time (both nvidia and AMD) are designed to boost as far as possible until one of many limits are hit. On nvidia, the different limits may be clock, power, voltage, temperature.

If you want to run it cooler, you can reduce either the thermal limit or power limit.

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, GameMax Silent, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Gaming system 2: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance RGB 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, Gamemax Abyss, Samsung 960 Evo 512GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

You could limit the speed of your GPU, if you really want.
The GPU basically has a temperature target, that is safe to hit. It will give you as much performance as it can give you within that target. Increasing the fan speed, will give you more performance, but it will also make your card louder, so you have to know what you want.

You can reduce the thermal limit if you feel that 83°C is too hot for you (with MSI Afterburner for example).

You could also set voltages and clockspeeds on your own, but tinkering with that can lead to instability.

Your card could also benifit from undervolting it (basically running it at the lowest voltage possible, which can save some power and lower temperatures), if you are into that, but you have to look up a guide on that on your own ;)

8 minutes ago, porina said:

The default thermal throttle temperature is in the low 80's so you're not far off. GPUs for a long time (both nvidia and AMD) are designed to boost as far as possible until one of many limits are hit. On nvidia, the different limits may be clock, power, voltage, temperature.

If you want to run it cooler, you can reduce either the thermal limit or power limit.

how can i reduce the thermal limit

3 minutes ago, adm0n said:

You could limit the speed of your GPU, if you really want.
The GPU basically has a temperature target, that is safe to hit. It will give you as much performance as it can give you withing that target. Increasing the fan speed, will give you more performance, but it will also make your card louder, so you have to know what you want.

You can reduce the thermal limit if you feel that 83°C is too hot for you (with MSI Afterburner for example).

You could also set voltages and clockspeeds on your own, but tinkering with that can lead to instability.

Your card could also benifit from undervolting it (basically running it at the lowest voltage possible, which can save some power and lower temperatures), if you are into that, but you have to look up a guide on that on your own ;)

my card is not that load . i tried msi afterburner to set temp limit but it didnt do anything.

Just now, MounirKalla said:

my card is not that load

What do you mean by that?

Just now, MounirKalla said:

i tried msi afterburner to set temp limit but it didnt do anything.

Did you also hit the 'apply' button?

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

What do you mean by that?

Did you also hit the 'apply' button?

sorry i meant loud . and yes i pressed the apply button

That sounds hard to believe. Blower style cards are usually pretty loud  : D

And when you tried this, your card was also already at 83°C? Then it should realistically slow down and try to reach the temperature you’ve set.

Or what are you exactly doing?