Oc Athlon ii x4 631 or athlon ii x4 651k

Go to solution Solved by Guest BOTVladimir,

Well the difference between those cpus (stock) is about 7 percent, so even if you left both of them at stock there wouldn't be much difference. If i were you I would try to overclock the 651k and see what I can get and if it's less than the 631 I would just sell it off on eBay.

I was given a desktop for free so i could play around with it and learn how to build, overclock and troubleshoot with little fear of huge expense! I've upgraded most parts which were huge upgrades. I ordered the 651k expecting it to be much better but whilst waiting for it to arrive from china i managed to get a stable, cool OC on the 631 of 3.6 Ghz at 1.4v (assuming this is stock voltages as i have never touched it and had to reset to factory settings once). I can't seem to get past 3.2Ghz on the 651k and it feels worse to use. But the 651k does bench higher on cinebench.

When gaming (Age of empires 2, civ 6 and gta v) everything seems to load slower and cpu usage seems higher with the 651k when checking with radeons overlay in game. 

I feel like ditching the 651k and go back to my 631 unless someone could advise on improving this? 

Also if i would reinstall the 631 can i just put all the settings back to where they were previously happy in the knowledge its ok or will i have to stress test etc again? 

Case: aerocool streak

Motherboard: ASUS f1a55m-le

RAM: 2 x (hyper x fury 8gb 1600Mhz DDR3)

Cpu Fan: Noctua NH-D9L

PSU: Seasonic core gc-500w

Gpu: Sapphire pulse radeon 550 2GB

HDD: 500gb samsung HD501LJ sata II

CPU: Athlon II x4 631 or 651k

Well the difference between those cpus (stock) is about 7 percent, so even if you left both of them at stock there wouldn't be much difference. If i were you I would try to overclock the 651k and see what I can get and if it's less than the 631 I would just sell it off on eBay.

1 minute ago, BOTVladimir said:

Thanks for the simple answer!

The motherboard is shitty for overclocking... no heatsinks on the VRm, weak VRM, i assume minimal options in bios to tweak things...

Either way kinda pointless to overclock a FM1 platform.

Try overclocking the memory to 1800-1866 mhz ... increase the timings by a significant amount and raise the voltage up to 1.65v-1.7v, the amd processors can handle it, and in theory those processors are supposed to officially support 1866 mhz memory.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

The motherboard is shitty for overclocking... no heatsinks on the VRm, weak VRM, i assume minimal options in bios to tweak things...

Either way kinda pointless to overclock a FM1 platform.

Try overclocking the memory to 1800-1866 mhz ... increase the timings by a significant amount and raise the voltage up to 1.65v-1.7v, the amd processors can handle it, and in theory those processors are supposed to officially support 1866 mhz memory.

Yeah i totally get that its not really the best platform for overclocking, its more a minimal risk method of physically doing it myself etc. Rather need to replace £40 worth of cpu/Motherboard than £400 worth! I've even overclocked the rx550 on the same premise, totally worthless but abit more experience.

I haven't really looked into overclocking the memory but i will give it a go, i've tried to keep the voltages stock due to all the warnings people have posted in various forums etc. All worth a try though, cheers