SMART detected HDD/SSD failure.

Essentially:

"SMART detected HHD/SSD failure 2: Corsair Neutron XT SSD

WARNING! Please back up your data and replace your hard disk drive.

WARNING! Your HDD/SSD might crash at any moment.

Press F1 to Run SETUP."

I can't get past the BIOS, the PC just restarts and shows the same error.

All the devices are still showing up in the BIOS and on the warning page.

Was having no issues prior to installing a new GPU & CPU cooler. I was getting a CPU fan speed error prior to the failure warning because I'd accidentally put the CPU fan on a chassis fan header (silly me).

After shutting the PC down and fixing that problem I got the failure screen.

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Maybe it's a mounting pressure issue.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Maybe it's a mounting pressure issue.

Ohhhh I forgot about that one!! Good call.

Disabled SMART in the BIOS. Got into Windows no further errors displayed. I feel like the SSD is fine as I've had no problems with it in the past and it's never been physically damaged etc. Will observe closely and potentially look at getting a new drive if the problem persists. I don't have any data stored on the drive other than Win10 & programs so I'm not really worried. It'd just be a pain in the ass haha.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, will update if there are any further changes.

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Just now, M A J O R said:

Disabled SMART in the BIOS. Got into Windows no further errors displayed. I feel like the SSD is fine as I've had no problems with it in the past and it's never been physically damaged etc. Will observe closely and potentially look at getting a new drive if the problem persists. I don't have any data stored on the drive other than Win10 & programs so I'm not really worried. It'd just be a pain in the ass haha.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, will update if there are any further changes.

Since the problem manifested itself after a change of the CPU cooler it's possible you are having mounting pressure issues,

If it's true.It's not safe for the CPU to run at that state.

Mounting pressure issues can cause strange things to happen.

Just to be safe i recommend to re-mount the cooler and see if that solves the problem.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Since the problem manifested itself after a change of the CPU cooler it's possible you are having mounting pressure issues,

If it's true.It's not safe for the CPU to run at that state.

Mounting pressure issues can cause strange things to happen.

Just to be safe i recommend to re-mount the cooler and see if that solves the problem.

Ahh, I thought it was the SSD mounting pressure haha. Do problems usually arise from to much or too little pressure?

Just now, M A J O R said:

Do problems usually arise from to much or too little pressure?

Yes,It causes problems.

Too little pressure can cause poor contact between the CPU and the motherboard,and between the CPU and cooler.

Too much pressure can crack the die,but the IHS protects CPUs from this.