Ryzen 5 3600x Power Management Settings

So I've recently picked up Ryzen 5 3600x and paired it with Strix B450-F Gaming and Strix LC 360 AiO.

For some reason, when I set the power plan on my PC to high performance or balanced, the cpu temp on idle goes up to 48-55, sometimes even 60. Every power plan does this (even the AMD Ryzen custom ones), the only plan that works fine is the preset Power Saver plan. I haven't oveclocked the cpu and it runs on default setting and voltage.

Does someone else in here having this issue or something similar to this issue? I would really like to set my power plan to high performance to make the most out of my cpu and AiO.

Thanks for reading and helping !

Make sure you have the latest AMD Chipset driver installed, set it to Ryzen Balanced and leave it alone. When the system is under low stress it will automatically boost 2 cores up to much faster than it could ever achieve across all cores, this is to help speed up the low stress high frequency tasks done by the OS while the system is idle. It's perfectly normal. Manually setting to High Performance overrides this feature. Just trust that AMD know better than Microsoft on how to power their own CPUs.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

25 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Make sure you have the latest AMD Chipset driver installed, set it to Ryzen Balanced and leave it alone. When the system is under low stress it will automatically boost 2 cores up to much faster than it could ever achieve across all cores, this is to help speed up the low stress high frequency tasks done by the OS while the system is idle. It's perfectly normal. Manually setting to High Performance overrides this feature. Just trust that AMD know better than Microsoft on how to power their own CPUs.

^^

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

So should i set up a fan curve to reduce the noise when the cpu is over 40c or i should live with the noise in order to maintain good preformence at all times?

1 hour ago, Tsviki said:

So should i set up a fan curve to reduce the noise when the cpu is over 40c or i should live with the noise in order to maintain good preformence at all times?

You can tune your fans however you like. Assuming it is boosting the CPU will take care of itself, it knows its own limits and will throttle to make sure it doesn't exceed them.

If you're still worried grab Prime 95, set it to the combined test and let it run for an hour. While its running monitor the temp of the CPU and make sure it doesn't exceed 80c. As long as the cooler is able to keep the CPU below 80c for a sustained workload the cooler is fine. There's no need to worry about boosting, the CPU will never reach the point of danger while its in boost mode.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)