The Pro Display XDR… for PC

James
2 hours ago, Jotoco said:

No visible stutter here. Just plain bad image quality. 

I'd imagine the amount of people watching these in HDR 10+ certified displays and such to be single digit percentage. It can look better for a minority of people while looking worse for the majority. 

not only that but you also have to consider that many many people will be running their display over saturated, and un-calibrated. So when a video like this comes out its going to look waaay blown out for those people.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

does anyone know where i can get a copy of the monitors video shown at 0:47?

14 hours ago, Mamonos said:

I have a 27" 4K HDR1000 display since a couple of days only so I am not yet super familiar with HDR content.

While the contrast and the color this video looked great and better (less dull) than the SDR version, the video was way too bright for me, to the point that when comparing it with the SDR version I was actually losing details (a great example is the eye shot at 5:20).

I don't know if this was intentional (to emphasize the fact that with HDR you can get super bright whites) or if it's a problem with my monitor (should not since it was calibrated with the X-Rite tool as well) or with the browser (Edge)

I took a picture to show the what I mean. Of course there are all the limitations involved in taking a picture of a screen but it should show the difference.

Look at David's right arm for example.

769330445_HDR_(1of1).thumb.jpg.7662ead46cf62df4d58aea6ea69ada32.jpg

Aside from that, congratulations for this upgrade, once again you are adding great production value.

Will all content be in HDR from now on?

I hope we can perhaps get a video (maybe with Brandon?) to see what does it change in terms of workflow and workload.

I know with RED should not be a big hassle since they have HDRX but maybe if there are difference with the lighting and (definitely?) more stuff to do in postproduction.

If the browser you're using is chrome, you could try disabling hardware acceleration trough the chrome flags. For some reason it massively over-saturates the hdr content.

another option is to force the color profile to sRGB Linear or HDR10, but for me that messed up the rest of the browser.

Would love to see more content in hdr though once support is a bit more stable. Once you get it working it looks a lot more natural and realistic.

On 5/18/2020 at 2:09 AM, Mamonos said:

I have a 27" 4K HDR1000 display since a couple of days only so I am not yet super familiar with HDR content.

While the contrast and the color this video looked great and better (less dull) than the SDR version, the video was way too bright for me, to the point that when comparing it with the SDR version I was actually losing details (a great example is the eye shot at 5:20).

I don't know if this was intentional (to emphasize the fact that with HDR you can get super bright whites) or if it's a problem with my monitor (should not since it was calibrated with the X-Rite tool as well) or with the browser (Edge)

I took a picture to show the what I mean. Of course there are all the limitations involved in taking a picture of a screen but it should show the difference.

Look at David's right arm for example.

769330445_HDR_(1of1).thumb.jpg.7662ead46cf62df4d58aea6ea69ada32.jpg

Aside from that, congratulations for this upgrade, once again you are adding great production value.

Will all content be in HDR from now on?

I hope we can perhaps get a video (maybe with Brandon?) to see what does it change in terms of workflow and workload.

I know with RED should not be a big hassle since they have HDRX but maybe if there are difference with the lighting and (definitely?) more stuff to do in postproduction.

HDR videos on the regular won't be for a while. I'm waiting on hardware to actually get things going on Windows machines. I learned and did the things on our Mac Pro with an Apple XDR and a PA32UCX.

HDRX and HDR is not the same and as far as I know, HDRX shouldn't be used to try to make HDR. I'm still testing scenarios indoors and outdoor to start making our workflow with HDR in mind.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

13 hours ago, Edzel Yago said:

HDR videos on the regular won't be for a while. I'm waiting on hardware to actually get things going on Windows machines. I learned and did the things on our Mac Pro with an Apple XDR and a PA32UCX.

HDRX and HDR is not the same and as far as I know, HDRX shouldn't be used to try to make HDR. I'm still testing scenarios indoors and outdoor to start making our workflow with HDR in mind.

Thanks for answering.

I know with HDRx for every frame you shot an additional frame with a faster shutter speed. I know this is (seldom?) used for a moltitude of reasons like highlights protection and to have more flexibility in post-production. I tought that it was intended and used for HDR creation as well, but I guess since the dynamic range of the camera is already huge you don't really need that unless you need to shoot something with a very unmanageable brightness distribution (like shooting from inside a dark tunnel and making both the tunnel arch and the landscape outside visible).

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an HDR1000 display, an ROG Swift PG27UQ to be exact, I was wondering how you guys (the editor/whoever did the HDR grade) did the HDR color grading and if it was in Davinci Resolve and were actually able to grade HDR content on an HDR monitor. I literally cannot find any information on this other than some youtube comments in some other video saying that you'd probably need a Black magic decklink to properly monitor your HDR content onto. That's all I want, to grade some HDR content in real time without requiring to look solely at scopes. 

So, my question goes, how did you guys do it? HDR grade using only scopes and render it every time you weren't 100% happy with it? sounds annoying. 

Suppose you'd grade in SDR and then just use the scopes to guesstimate how the HDR would look then render and watch it to see for certain. 

• 1 month later...

does anybody know where I can get the information shown in 6:14?, I would love to have that spread sheet