Can't get HAXM working for Android Studio (on AMD)

Go to solution Solved by WeeemRCB,

Thanks, That made it more clear the distinction between HAXM and WHP[X]

I already have WHP enabled in Windows Features as per my screenshots, but I found that there's a 3rd option that needs disabled.

In my screenshot you can see WHP is enabled, but above it there's "Virtual Machine Platform" (that was introduced with W10 build 1809)

Windows_Features_2.jpg.e5f58c06466b00c375c4a7d12fdabd77.jpg

That also used Hyper-V tech, so although Hyper-V and it's subcomponents are all disabled, checking VMP does enable some components of it.

I deselected VMP and now it works.

I haven't seen that referenced anywhere in all my digging about.

GG Microsoft. That's taken me days to find

Hopefully this will help someone else in the same boat.

I'm having issues trying to get emulation running on Android Studio and I was hoping someone has an idea on how to get it working?

I recently rebuilt my PC going from I7-6850k to AMD 3900X with new Mobo and faster RAM.

Prior to the rebuild I had it working with no problem, so I don't know if it's a compatibility issue with the Intel Software on AMD, but from what I've researched I can see other people are able to use it, so I must be missing a step somewhere?

The error I get on trying to install is:

Android SDK is up to date.
Running Intel® HAXM installer
Failed to install Intel HAXM. For details, please check the installation log: "C:\Temp\haxm_log3879.txt"
HAXM installation failed. To install HAXM follow the instructions found at: https://software.intel.com/android/articles/installation-instructions-for-intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager-windows
Installer log is located at C:\Temp\haxm_log3879.txt
Installer log contents:
=== Logging started: 10/05/2020  13:07:27 ===
This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) or it is being exclusively used by Hyper-V. HAXM cannot be installed. 
Please ensure Hyper-V is disabled in Windows Features, or refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.

If I try to run the installer directly I get a similar error message:

HAXM_Manual.jpg.c2a45bea98c9e1551af815d488b6062d.jpg

I can confirm that Virtualisation is working as I use VirtualBox a lot. Confirmed in Task Manager:

taskman.jpg.66bfe575d64133ad98df99eac30f452f.jpg

I've confirmed that HyperVisor is unavailable in Windows Features and HyperVisor Plaftorm is enabled (apparently it needs that to run the emulation)

Windows_Features_1.jpg.ba154f9d49d541bbfad4b13937ce4e5d.jpg     Windows_Features_2.jpg.a4c96a86f539b8af9dcb481fdb2b0d1e.jpg

I also confirmed that Windows Defender Core Isolation is disabled (as it uses Hyper-V to perform it's task)

Defender_Core_Isolation.jpg.771b1b975c4b9f8070362f5490857160.jpg

But I'm stuck. I can't see what else I need to enable to get it working and without the emulation running I can't check what I'm doing *sad beeps* :/

HAXM_2.thumb.jpg.ea546425655cea83630c36ac42f9866e.jpg

----------------------------
        Weem

HAXM is made by Intel. For AMD there should be a new API in Windows: https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/07/android-emulator-amd-hyperv/

~edit: Also see here: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator-acceleration#choose-windows-hypervisor

Criteria Hypervisor
You have an Intel processor and do not need to run Hyper-V at the same time as the Android Emulator. Use Intel HAXM.
You have an Intel processor and do need to run Hyper-V at the same time as the Android Emulator. Use WHPX.
You have an AMD processor. Use WHPX.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Thanks, That made it more clear the distinction between HAXM and WHP[X]

I already have WHP enabled in Windows Features as per my screenshots, but I found that there's a 3rd option that needs disabled.

In my screenshot you can see WHP is enabled, but above it there's "Virtual Machine Platform" (that was introduced with W10 build 1809)

Windows_Features_2.jpg.e5f58c06466b00c375c4a7d12fdabd77.jpg

That also used Hyper-V tech, so although Hyper-V and it's subcomponents are all disabled, checking VMP does enable some components of it.

I deselected VMP and now it works.

I haven't seen that referenced anywhere in all my digging about.

GG Microsoft. That's taken me days to find

Hopefully this will help someone else in the same boat.

----------------------------
        Weem