Looking into a Laptop for Around $200USD

Title says about half of it. I wanna get my mom a laptop for Mother's Day, but I really don't know where to start here.

I'd like something that could outdo an AMD A6-5200 for the $200 and/or under range. I'd like expandable storage (the actual storage device doesn't matter, I plan on getting an SSD anyways) and the screen resolution really doesn't matter either. Just needs to be something that's got something with more power than the A6-5200. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll also note that she's really just using it for Facebook and to archive photos from her phone.

Oh, refurbished options are completely open, same with eBay refurbs. Just let me know if you want any more specifics.

Edited by handymanshandle
A bit of clarification for the use of the machine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

This is really the only time I'd ever go with a chromebook

Universities sometimes sell off their old systems for fairly affordable, so maybe you could look into that- though may be hard to do so rn

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

This is really the only time I'd ever go with a chromebook

Universities sometimes sell off their old systems for fairly affordable, so maybe you could look into that- though may be hard to do so rn

Hmm... I guess I'd have to see if my mom would want a Chromebook. She's quite used to Windows so I guess I'll see how that is.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

24 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Title says about half of it. I wanna get my mom a laptop for Mother's Day, but I really don't know where to start here.

I'd like something that could outdo an AMD A6-5200 for the $200 and/or under range. I'd like expandable storage (the actual storage device doesn't matter, I plan on getting an SSD anyways) and the screen resolution really doesn't matter either. Just needs to be something that's got something with more power than the A6-5200. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll also note that she's really just using it for Facebook and to archive photos from her phone.

Oh, refurbished options are completely open, same with eBay refurbs. Just let me know if you want any more specifics.

I have always bought refurb/used thinkpad t-series laptops.   Just go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_T_series

and the go on ebay and find something.   These are 14 and 15 inch size laptops.  The x-series is very good too, lightweight

On 4/9/2020 at 8:52 PM, TylerDurden! said:

I have always bought refurb/used thinkpad t-series laptops.   Just go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_T_series

and the go on ebay and find something.   These are 14 and 15 inch size laptops.  The x-series is very good too, lightweight

I came in to recommend one of these as well. I just bought a t540p with the following specs,

2.6ghz i5 4300m

500GB HDD (Replaced with a 1TB SSD, pulled out of another computer)

8GB RAM (Replaced with 16GB of RAM, pulled out of another computer)

1920x1080 15.6" display

Nvida Geforce 730m GPU

for $250.

Even the base model of that computer would be perfect for the usage that the OPs mom wants to use it for. 

Thinkpads like this are going to be better computers then damn near anything else you're going to find in that price point. They have excellent keyboards, are reliable, are dependable and still offer plenty of power for the average computer use and they're super upgradable. 

I'd recommend the t440p, it can be picked up around $150-$200 bucks and can be easily upgraded, getting years of usage, especially for general computer use.

I'm only planning on buying refurbished Thinkpads from here on out. My next computer will probably be a refurbished P-series (their workstation class computers).

2 hours ago, linkboy said:

I came in to recommend one of these as well

I have to have that little mouse joystick pointing thingy, so much faster and less fatigue than using the trackpad, but many come with both and even 2 sets of left and right mouse buttons above and below the pad

On 4/9/2020 at 11:17 PM, handymanshandle said:

Check my laptop listing on ebay. if you make an offer for $250 i will accept it.

Good Luck!

http://ebay.us/vuM0jX?cmpnId=5338273189