Question about a Bios Update.

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

NO, DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!!

50% chance it will fail with a BSOD, 50% chance it will brick the board.

So I have seen alot about React OS (one on the LTT channel and a few hands on) and im Questioning if i can Install a Dell Bios from Reactos

The bios is exe file, and im wondering if i can use Reactos (as a no install, just use the USB as a Live image) to run the exe

No. That exe wont work in Linux anyway even if using wine.

Updating the BIOS is not normally done from the OS.

Usual method is to go to manufactures website and download latest bios to to USB flashdrive

restart PC and boot into bios

find and run the update bios option, it should update bios stored on flashdrive.

The above steps should be outlined in your manual.

What is the make and model of your dell machine?

NO, DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!!

50% chance it will fail with a BSOD, 50% chance it will brick the board.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, C2dan88 said:

No. That exe wont work in Linux anyway even if using wine.

Updating the BIOS is not normally done from the OS.

Usual method is to go to manufactures website and download latest bios to to USB flashdrive

restart PC and boot into bios

find and run the update bios option, it should update bios stored on flashdrive.

The above steps should be outlined in your manual.

What is the make and model of your dell machine?

For OEM machines its very normal for BIOS updates to come in EXE and be run from Windows.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I take it you're not booting EFI?  Dell makes Linux/EFI flash-able firmware.  Cuts down on a lot of the hassle with the BIOS flashes.

fwupdmgr refresh && fwupdmgr get-updates

I've seen it done with Dr-DOS back in the day I believe.  Do they even make DOS flash-able BIOS updates anymore??

2 hours ago, -DevNull- said:

I take it you're not booting EFI?  Dell makes Linux/EFI flash-able firmware.  Cuts down on a lot of the hassle with the BIOS flashes.

fwupdmgr refresh && fwupdmgr get-updates

I've seen it done with Dr-DOS back in the day I believe.  Do they even make DOS flash-able BIOS updates anymore??

2 things, 1: What type of linux? (arch/Debian etc) and 2 Dell recommeneded the DOS usb but they stopped doing it for my board (i believe)

55 minutes ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

2 things, 1: What type of linux? (arch/Debian etc) and 2 Dell recommeneded the DOS usb but they stopped doing it for my board (i believe)

Any linux distro.  They have been distributing it for a few years now.  The even put the docs on their site.  However, it will not work if you are in "Legacy" mode.  It is EFI only.

I believe this link is referencing their Dell Edge Gateway 5000 but it works on pretty much any of their BIOS that have been released in the last few years.  They also provide links to the LVFS, fwupd etc.

I know gnome has a GUI.  I never use it.  Use your package manager and install fwupdmgr.  If for some reason you don't have it (I don't see how though as I have Arch, Debian, and RH machines here that have had it for awhile.)

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/vendors/

"Recent IoT, XPS, Latitude, Precision, and Optiplex hardware is supported. For older systems not supported by LVFS, the vendor recommends creating personalized update notifications using the Dell support site.

•  Responsible for 805 firmware files, 104 uploaded recently
  •  Firmware update protocols used:
    • Dell Dock
    • Fastboot
    • Flashrom
    • Intel Thunderbolt
    • NVMe
    • Synaptics MST
    • UEFI UpdateCapsule"

https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/tree/master/plugins/dell

https://linux.dell.com/

https://github.com/dell