120hz Tn Vs. 60hz Ips (gaming)

joelthezombie15

so im looking at monitors and i like how clean the ips are but they are slow however i like the speed of tn but not so much the cleanliness of it i mean i can live with it but its not my favorite.

so what im asking is. how much of a difference is it gonna be also im thinking of doing surround gaming or if all else fails a large format monitor should i get ips if im doing that? i also looked at the vn panels but idk i like 120hz but i also need color and viewing angels what would you suggest i will list the monitors im looking at for either one. also want it around 23" for surround or 27 to 30" large format.

IPS;http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483&Tpk=Acer%20H236HL%20bid&IsVirtualParent=1

TN; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236327

(really like this because my build is white and the response time is crazy fast.)

Also the monitor MUST BE $200USD or under the monitor is gonna be a gift from my parents and thats the budget. also dont count sales because they may not last until im getting the monitor. If the monitor is EXCEPTIONAL i can go up to $250 but absolutely no higher.

thanks.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Also Height adjust is HUGE im 6' 4" and my chair is short or if i use the other chair im super high up so height adjust is i wouldn't say deal breaker but it kinda is in some cases. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Response time value are more B.S spec ever, and they say it in the specs (G-t-G).

Response time is measure of time, when the monitor takes one color and changes to another color. Sadly, there is no standard method in measuring this. Every manufacture have a different way, and the 2 color choose can be the same color.

Example (from TFTCentral - an in depth monitor review site)

TN panel - 120Hz - 2ms response time:

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

TN panel - 60Hz - 1ms response time:

viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

IPS panel - 60Hz - 6ms response time:

dell_u2410.jpg

As you can see, it's all over the place, and the 6ms IPS Dell U2410 monitor, ends up being the actual fastest. An IPS panel! (granted it's a 750$ IPS panel at release... now only 400$ as it's being discontinued and replaced by a newer model, but still)

Yea, so it is important to check in-depth reviews to know the monitor actual response time.

They are no 120Hz IPS panel, not yet at least. But as IPS panels gets faster and faster at every generation. It's coming.

For monitor suggestion:

Check out the ASUS PB238Q - IPS panel (6-bit panel) - 1920x1080 - Fully adjustable stand - Non glossy panel so that you can focus on your work or gaming. You also HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI and VGA as input.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292

An alternative is the Dell U2312HM - IPS panel (6-bit eIPS from LG) - 1920x1080. Very similar to the ASUS monitor. It's basically the same. You just don't have HDMI. You do have a better warranty where for any defect for 3 years, Dell pay shipping both direction for you, and you get the keep the monitor, while you await for the replacement monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-2807&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Oh yes, both monitors have 0 wobble, due to their solid stand.

I say, pick the cheapest one, out of the two when it comes time to buy it.

Now 120Hz TN vs IPS.

It depends on you. An IPS panel will allow you to sit how you want on your desk or room, and perfectly see your screen. Also, games will look better.

A 120Hz TN monitor, will allow you see more frames, if you have the computational power to run your games at 120fps. However, if you have games that runs at 80fps for example, and V-Sync is off in the game, you get to enjoy them without visual tearing as the monitor can display fully each frame it receives.

If you are not a hardcore FPS player, you won't really notice a 120Hz monitor in action, is the general consensus from feedback from people. Hardcore FPS players, usually have a beats of machine to play their games at 120fps solid, or set the game at native monitor resolution, but drop all visual settings down to low, as they don't care about visuals. It's all about the high score, essentially. But many here, that do get it, even if they don't have the power to drive the game at a solid and steady 120fps, they just turn off V0Sync, and enjoy the game at 80-100 fps when they can.

And it depends on what you prefer more: smoother animation, or better visuals.

well i dont play fps games competetivly and im pretty bad at them to so thats not to important also im using this as a xbox screen instead of a tv so i might be sitting away from my desk on my bed so im leaning to IPS .

Response time value are more B.S spec ever, and they say it in the specs (G-t-G).

Response time is measure of time, when the monitor takes one color and changes to another color. Sadly, there is no standard method in measuring this. Every manufacture have a different way, and the 2 color choose can be the same color.

Example (from TFTCentral - an in depth monitor review site)

TN panel - 120Hz - 2ms response time:

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

TN panel - 60Hz - 1ms response time:

viewsonic_vx2739wm.jpg

IPS panel - 60Hz - 6ms response time:

dell_u2410.jpg

As you can see, it's all over the place, and the 6ms IPS Dell U2410 monitor, ends up being the actual fastest. An IPS panel! (granted it's a 750$ IPS panel at release... now only 400$ as it's being discontinued and replaced by a newer model, but still)

Yea, so it is important to check in-depth reviews to know the monitor actual response time.

They are no 120Hz IPS panel, not yet at least. But as IPS panels gets faster and faster at every generation. It's coming.

For monitor suggestion:

Check out the ASUS PB238Q - IPS panel (6-bit panel) - 1920x1080 - Fully adjustable stand - Non glossy panel so that you can focus on your work or gaming. You also HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI and VGA as input.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292

An alternative is the Dell U2312HM - IPS panel (6-bit eIPS from LG) - 1920x1080. Very similar to the ASUS monitor. It's basically the same. You just don't have HDMI. You do have a better warranty where for any defect for 3 years, Dell pay shipping both direction for you, and you get the keep the monitor, while you await for the replacement monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-2807&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Oh yes, both monitors have 0 wobble, due to their solid stand.

I say, pick the cheapest one, out of the two when it comes time to buy it.

Now 120Hz TN vs IPS.

It depends on you. An IPS panel will allow you to sit how you want on your desk or room, and perfectly see your screen. Also, games will look better.

A 120Hz TN monitor, will allow you see more frames, if you have the computational power to run your games at 120fps. However, if you have games that runs at 80fps for example, and V-Sync is off in the game, you get to enjoy them without visual tearing as the monitor can display fully each frame it receives.

If you are not a hardcore FPS player, you won't really notice a 120Hz monitor in action, is the general consensus from feedback from people. Hardcore FPS players, usually have a beats of machine to play their games at 120fps solid, or set the game at native monitor resolution, but drop all visual settings down to low, as they don't care about visuals. It's all about the high score, essentially. But many here, that do get it, even if they don't have the power to drive the game at a solid and steady 120fps, they just turn off V0Sync, and enjoy the game at 80-100 fps when they can.

And it depends on what you prefer more: smoother animation, or better visuals.

the monitors are over my budget but thanks you.

Ah you missed the specials, that is why. :/

oh ok then maybe the sale will come back thanks though

Sorry I miss you previous post,

If you are going to plug your XBox (or a next gen console, like a WiiU, PS4 or XBox Infinity), and be sitting far away, the definitely get the ASUS. It has HDMI input, is what you need. IPS panel, so great viewing angle which is what you really need, great performing monitor in general, making great for work and gaming both console and PC.

So you can ignore the Dell model suggested.

So watch out for ASUS monitor on special, or I am sure you can find 20$+tax somewhere and pay the difference for the monitor, if you can't wait.

The Acer one will fit your needs... but you do have a basic non-adjustable stand, and your screen will most likely wobble like most non-adjustable stands (I don't know there isn't any in depth reviews), and of course, I can't comment on anything else, due to the lack of in depth reviews, at least for now.

thanks goodbytes once again you saved the day.still surprised your not a mod yet you have helped alot.