Can't sign into Games for Windows Live

Go to solution Solved by Flamewalker,

Sup everyone,

So I got Dirt 3 in a humble bundle a while back, and my steering wheel arrived today, so I was very excited to play some DIRRT.

But now I can't sign into GfWL (apparently it still exists) and I can't save ANYTHING for some unknown reason. 

Does anyone know a fix for this kind of thing?

Error I'm getting down below

All help is VERY much appreciated, and have a nice day.

-Kaasgeelheid 

ps I'm quite pissed off as you can tell

They are working on removing gfwl from dirt 3 so that you just need steam for it ,not sure when that update will come though (http://steamcommunity.com/games/DiRT3/announcements/detail/1498873167825830349)

Have you tried creating an offline account? it should save just fine then normally if your only playing the singleplayer 

Sup everyone,

So I got Dirt 3 in a humble bundle a while back, and my steering wheel arrived today, so I was very excited to play some DIRRT.

But now I can't sign into GfWL (apparently it still exists) and I can't save ANYTHING for some unknown reason. 

-Kaasgeelheid 

post-21409-0-20294700-1392739461.png

THE signature

I've had this endlessy, kept trying for a lifetime and once in an eterny I've managed to log in.

It's really annoying..

Try going to the Xbox website to login. Sometimes they make you unable to login for strange reasons, and those will only be listed on the website.

I also thought that GFWL was dead and buried, but apperantly not.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Try going to the Xbox website to login. Sometimes they make you unable to login for strange reasons, and those will only be listed on the website.

I also thought that GFWL was dead and buried, but apperantly not.

Ok thanks, trying that now.

And now I can't figure out how to connect my wheel.... I'm having a great afternoon :P

Doesn't work yet... I logged in on xbox.com but it still asked me to log into gfwl, and it failed.

BTW I also have to insert the product key inbetween, and believe me I'm using the correct one, I used the  "copy to clipboard button".

THE signature

I had/have this issue with Dark Souls. 

There's a specific way you have to install GFWL. Get the installer from their website (so it's the latest one), right click, go to compatibility mode and switch it to whatever OS you have, then check the "Run as Administrator" box.

Then run the Installer. Log into the marketplace, then start the game. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I had/have this issue with Dark Souls. 

There's a specific way you have to install GFWL. Get the installer from their website (so it's the latest one), right click, go to compatibility mode and switch it to whatever OS you have, then check the "Run as Administrator" box.

Then run the Installer. Log into the marketplace, then start the game. 

Oooh that sounds plausible, if this works you'll get loads of thanks, I promise.

THE signature

Awww frigging what in the.... Please stop.

@Vitalius do you maybe know what this is?

Connection error

Application can't be opened, there's a problem with your internet connection or with the Live-service. 

blah blah try if you can open webpage blah please refer to this help page blah

And Dirt 3 isn't opening anymore, what.

post-21409-0-77540500-1392740992.png

THE signature

Awww frigging what in the.... Please stop.

@Vitalius do you maybe know what this is?

Connection error

Application can't be opened, there's a problem with your internet connection or with the Live-service. 

blah blah try if you can open webpage blah please refer to this help page blah

And Dirt 3 isn't opening anymore, what.

Dirt 3 won't open if it's not installed correctly or isn't one of the latest versions. 

Go to Programs and Features > add or remove programs > and remove Microsoft Games for Windows - Live Redistributable then remove Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace. 

Then install GFWL as I stated above. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Dirt 3 won't open if it's not installed correctly or isn't one of the latest versions. 

Go to Programs and Features > add or remove programs > and remove Microsoft Games for Windows - Live Redistributable then remove Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace. 

Then install GFWL as I stated above. 

I did exactly that, I have no idea if I installed the right one but I followed the steps on this download: http://www.xbox.com/nl-NL/live/pc/downloadclient

Then I uninstalled those and ran the installer in comp mode + admin

Then Dirt 3 didn't want to launch. I just reinstalled Dirt 3 and first time launching --> still doesn't want to launch (the famous in-game for 5 seconds according to steam and then getting kicked out).

Am I doing something horribly wrong?

THE signature

I think they canned GFWL in January.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think they canned GFWL in January.

If that's the reason I can't log in, well just ***** ** ***** ****

Dropping the servers and thus making a game completely unplayable, that would be a joke.

THE signature

If that's the reason I can't log in, well just ***** ** ***** ****

Dropping the servers and thus making a game completely unplayable, that would be a joke.

Yeah, the reason I said I had/have this issue with Dark Souls is because I fixed it once some months ago using the method I described. But now I have it again. D:

† Christian Member †

Yeah, the reason I said I had/have this issue with Dark Souls is because I fixed it once some months ago using the method I described. But now I have it again. D:

So wait, the fix you used now doesn't work anymore? Ow god.

THE signature

Sup everyone,

-Kaasgeelheid 

They are working on removing gfwl from dirt 3 so that you just need steam for it ,not sure when that update will come though (http://steamcommunity.com/games/DiRT3/announcements/detail/1498873167825830349)

Have you tried creating an offline account? it should save just fine then normally if your only playing the singleplayer 

Wait, is that possible? I'll try right now, but you might have to help me out later. I never saw an offline play option, and that's probably because I have to enter the product key.

THE signature

Try using an old version of GFWL with local profile support.

Signatures are stupid.

Wow, just using the download link in that blog @Flamewalker linked fixed the problem altogether... I feel happy and stupid at the same time now.

THE signature

Wow, just using the download link in that blog @Flamewalker linked fixed the problem altogether... I feel happy and stupid at the same time now.

Gfwl is just weird at times :P, i had a similar thing with getting bulletstorm to work back when it was just out >< 

• 7 months later...

god i just hate this.... steam update my a**, they abandoned the game in Q2 of this year. GFWL just sucks and i can't seem to do anything said on this forum to fix it. is it possibly from my account? it's the same one i use to log into my pc, and that still works (obviously :))

if i try and log on to the GFWL marketplace, it just comes up with the error "The client must point to the same Windows Live ID environment as the windows live sign-in assistant service." is this because someone lese signed in to the windows store on my pc a couple of days ago to redeem a card on their account?

thanks for any help in advance.