Ping Spikes in Rocket League, and Overall Inconsistent Ping.

BrianRS

First, let me explain what I have done. My Rocket League ping was always fine but about 3 weeks ago it started to variate. I had Google Wifi, and switched to an ASUS AC3100 to fix the issue. This did not help. My ping varies like hell and it's starting to get to me. Online games are a struggle, but all of my hardware is good. Every internet speed test says my ping is like 10, then when I hop into game it will constantly go from 70 to 110, and back down. Network graphs show a consistent pattern of ping spikes, and I am lost at this point. I am very tech savvy, but now I need help. It can't be a router setting since this has happened with the Google Wifi router as well, unless the setting was incorrect on both routers? I have rebooted and power cycled my router and modem, unplugged and replugged, and I really can't think of anything else. I attached a graph from Rocket League so you can see. Thank you for any help.

Best,

Brian

graph.png

Did you separate out 5g and 2g bands?  What ISP package do you have?  What NIC are you using?  How many wifi clients do you have on that?  Are you even champ?

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

It sounds like you've done pretty well everything you can on your own end. Unless something failed it's weird that your ping would start spiking out of nowhere, and you've pretty much troubleshooted your way through it. Last step I'd look at would try going with a fully wired connection, otherwise it sounds like an ISP issue and I'd give them a call. Your ISP's network may be congested now, with everyone at home, and there's not much you can do about that.

4 hours ago, beersykins said:

Did you separate out 5g and 2g bands?  What ISP package do you have?  What NIC are you using?  How many wifi clients do you have on that?  Are you even champ?

I did not separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Should I do this? 

I'm assuming you are asking what speeds I pay for. I get 240 down and 11 or so up straight from the modem, via ethernet to a computer.

My Network Interface Card is an AC1200 ASUS USB Adapter, and my router is an AC3100, also from ASUS. The router is downstairs through 1 wall, about 60 feet away. Otherwise the surrounding area is open. All 4 antennas are facing this way.

There are about 20 clients, including 5 or so Amazon Fire Sticks, though at most 2 will be used at the same time. This issue happens even when I am the only one using the internet, or so it seems. Sometimes it feels less laggy at night, and I've had nights where I can game all night with no issues, while others are a struggle. 

Haha good one, Plat II as of now.

Thanks for the help,

Brian

3 hours ago, seanondemand said:

It sounds like you've done pretty well everything you can on your own end. Unless something failed it's weird that your ping would start spiking out of nowhere, and you've pretty much troubleshooted your way through it. Last step I'd look at would try going with a fully wired connection, otherwise it sounds like an ISP issue and I'd give them a call. Your ISP's network may be congested now, with everyone at home, and there's not much you can do about that.

I have done internet speed tests while connected straight to the modem on a Macintosh, which was the best I could do. No gaming was tested there, should probably do that. I called my ISP and they told me to change some settings involving the selected channels and bandwidth frequencies, though they were already correct on the new router. Their tests all came through perfectly fine. I will have to get Rocket League on the Macintosh to test the issue, since my PC is basically stuck up here. Thanks for the help!

Best,

Brian

13 minutes ago, BrianRS said:

I have done internet speed tests while connected straight to the modem on a Macintosh, which was the best I could do. No gaming was tested there, should probably do that. I called my ISP and they told me to change some settings involving the selected channels and bandwidth frequencies, though they were already correct on the new router. Their tests all came through perfectly fine. I will have to get Rocket League on the Macintosh to test the issue, since my PC is basically stuck up here. Thanks for the help!

Best,

Brian

It's common to think that a high speed connection = good for gaming, but that's often not true. A poor connection can be fast but inconsistent, which sounds more like what your issue might be. You can have gigabit internet to a downtown highrise apartment, but the radio space your wifi is running in can be incredibly congested causing a lot of dropped packets, or your ISP can be experiencing congestion on a busy trunk line, and you can see issues there. I think it's one or the other, with home internet everywhere suddenly being a lot busier all day long in our new COVID afflicted world.

Just to eliminate the wireless environment being the issue, I'd try a wired connection and see if your issue persists.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:35 PM, seanondemand said:

It's common to think that a high speed connection = good for gaming, but that's often not true. A poor connection can be fast but inconsistent, which sounds more like what your issue might be. You can have gigabit internet to a downtown highrise apartment, but the radio space your wifi is running in can be incredibly congested causing a lot of dropped packets, or your ISP can be experiencing congestion on a busy trunk line, and you can see issues there. I think it's one or the other, with home internet everywhere suddenly being a lot busier all day long in our new COVID afflicted world.

Just to eliminate the wireless environment being the issue, I'd try a wired connection and see if your issue persists.

Will do this, can update.