Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ekkelekkekt

Difference between different GPU models

7 minutes ago, ekkelekkekt said:

I am wondering if the performance and sound differences are big between different models of the same card (i.e AMD RX 5700).

Or are the differences mostly visual?

Depends on which exact cards you compare.

In short, there are open air and blower style coolers. You will generally recognize blower style coolers by them having only a single fan on them, with a large shroud, like this:

Spoiler

image.png.e0277aa5838ca08392208c40c59b3d52.png

Sometimes called 'reference cooler'  design, since the reference videocards for the RX 5700 use this.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend you avoid these. They run hot and loud.

Only if you are looking to purchase a waterblock should you ever consider these.

Other than that, I will just link this list, which covers the best cooler options:

See the spoiler just below 'RX 57XX'. Pick an option from the top most tiers. Optionally look at some reviews, comparing your chosen options.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi!

I am wondering if the performance and sound differences are big between different models of the same card (i.e AMD RX 5700).

They vary with different coolers, you are paying more for 1: a binned chip; utilizing the highest quality components available to the partner such as EVGA, MSI, ASUS, ZOTAC
2: A better cooler/heatsink with more fins, density, heatpipes, fans.
Typically I would pick the cheapest reasonable model available, however for the 5700 I reccomend the Evoke since it's $300 right now on Newegg USA.

Posted · Best Answer
7 minutes ago, ekkelekkekt said:

Depends on which exact cards you compare.

In short, there are open air and blower style coolers. You will generally recognize blower style coolers by them having only a single fan on them, with a large shroud, like this:

Spoiler

image.png.e0277aa5838ca08392208c40c59b3d52.png

Sometimes called 'reference cooler'  design, since the reference videocards for the RX 5700 use this.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend you avoid these. They run hot and loud.

Only if you are looking to purchase a waterblock should you ever consider these.

Other than that, I will just link this list, which covers the best cooler options:

See the spoiler just below 'RX 57XX'. Pick an option from the top most tiers. Optionally look at some reviews, comparing your chosen options.

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

"FuryBSD, name of your sex tape" - Alex Clark

"How long do I have to keep going on? Someone end it already"