Difference between different GPU models

ekkelekkekt
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
7 minutes ago, ekkelekkekt said:

I am wondering if the performance and sound differences are big between different models of the same card (i.e AMD RX 5700).

Or are the differences mostly visual?

Depends on which exact cards you compare.

In short, there are open air and blower style coolers. You will generally recognize blower style coolers by them having only a single fan on them, with a large shroud, like this:

Spoiler

image.png.e0277aa5838ca08392208c40c59b3d52.png

Sometimes called 'reference cooler'  design, since the reference videocards for the RX 5700 use this.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend you avoid these. They run hot and loud.

Only if you are looking to purchase a waterblock should you ever consider these.

Other than that, I will just link this list, which covers the best cooler options:

See the spoiler just below 'RX 57XX'. Pick an option from the top most tiers. Optionally look at some reviews, comparing your chosen options.

Hi!

I am wondering if the performance and sound differences are big between different models of the same card (i.e AMD RX 5700).

They vary with different coolers, you are paying more for 1: a binned chip; utilizing the highest quality components available to the partner such as EVGA, MSI, ASUS, ZOTAC
2: A better cooler/heatsink with more fins, density, heatpipes, fans.
Typically I would pick the cheapest reasonable model available, however for the 5700 I reccomend the Evoke since it's $300 right now on Newegg USA.

As a wise master once said, 

Put as much effort into your question as you would expect a stranger to add to their answer!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3800XT | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18 | MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X | Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD | Corsair AX850 Titanium | Fractal Design Define 7 White, Solid

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 16 | i9 9980H | 16 GB RAM |  1TB SSD | AppleCare+ | Space Grey

Peripherals: RAMA U-80 Lake | Logitech MX Master 3 | Kanto YU2 White + Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO 

Displays: LG GX 55"| Acer XB273K | Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q | LG 32UN650-W 

7 minutes ago, ekkelekkekt said:

Depends on which exact cards you compare.

In short, there are open air and blower style coolers. You will generally recognize blower style coolers by them having only a single fan on them, with a large shroud, like this:

Spoiler

image.png.e0277aa5838ca08392208c40c59b3d52.png

Sometimes called 'reference cooler'  design, since the reference videocards for the RX 5700 use this.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend you avoid these. They run hot and loud.

Only if you are looking to purchase a waterblock should you ever consider these.

Other than that, I will just link this list, which covers the best cooler options:

See the spoiler just below 'RX 57XX'. Pick an option from the top most tiers. Optionally look at some reviews, comparing your chosen options.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/