XPS 15 UPGRADE (HELP)

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 (i7 7700HQ, GTX1050 4GB (non ti), 16GB RAM, 256GB ROM) and recently I have saved up enough money to buy a 1TB Crutial M.2 NVMe SSD, 32GB RAM (again from Crutial because I know it will work) and I would also like to upgrade the WIFI card as it is not the fastest. I need suggestions for a WIFI card that will work and be faster than the original one (German amazon as I am in germany right now plz). I also want to ask the following: How do I change the SSD without loosing all the data and Windows 10? (for those wondering I also repasted it and Im soon changing out the fans because the cpu fan was not responding correctly (error code 2000-0511) and yes, I am building sort of a "Ulitmate" XPS.

Thank you very very much,

e.

Hers an upgrade guide for the ram:

https://www.windowscentral.com/more-ram-dell-xps-15-9550-9560

If you have an external Hard drive or SSD back up your data to that along with Windows 10 to reinstall it to your new SSD.

The SSD is as simple as removing the current one and putting the new one in. The SSD only had one Philips Head screw keeping it down.

Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, MrConcrete04 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 (i7 7700HQ, GTX1050 4GB (non ti), 16GB RAM, 256GB ROM) and recently I have saved up enough money to buy a 1TB Crutial M.2 NVMe SSD, 32GB RAM (again from Crutial because I know it will work) and I would also like to upgrade the WIFI card as it is not the fastest. I need suggestions for a WIFI card that will work and be faster than the original one (German amazon as I am in germany right now plz). I also want to ask the following: How do I change the SSD without loosing all the data and Windows 10? (for those wondering I also repasted it and Im soon changing out the fans because the cpu fan was not responding correctly (error code 2000-0511) and yes, I am building sort of a "Ulitmate" XPS.

Thank you very very much,

e.

Can you even change the WiFi card? Modern laptops aren’t super upgradable. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I wouldn't recommend upgrading the wifi card because they are usually hard to replace. There are part but if your inexperienced I wouldn't recommend doing it.

1 minute ago, Lanson the Wolf said:

I wouldn't recommend upgrading the wifi card because they are usually hard to replace. There are part but if your inexperienced I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Just figures with most laptops only allowed you to upgrade the memory and storage the WiFi card might be soldered 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Just figures with most laptops only allowed you to upgrade the memory and storage the WiFi card might be soldered 

The wifi card isn't soldered it like an M.2 or NVMe SSD but smaller and with the antenna wires.

12 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

thats the one thing the xps is excellent at, upgrade-ability

8 minutes ago, Lanson the Wolf said:

I have quite a bit of experience dont worry, I just need the correct part

does anyone have any suggestion for a good wifi card that fits?

7 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

thats the one thing the xps is excellent at, upgrade-ability

Can’t upgrade the CPU and GPU though which are the parts that date laptops. Aside from a bigger SSD and RAM which 512GB and 16GB are enough for the vast majority in a laptop anyway then there’s really not much point in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Can’t upgrade the CPU and GPU though which are the parts that date laptops. Aside from a bigger SSD and RAM which 512GB and 16GB are enough for the vast majority in a laptop anyway then there’s really not much point in my opinion. 

i have already got the ssd, waiting for the ram and I still need help choosing a new wifi card

40 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

i have already got the ssd, waiting for the ram and I still need help choosing a new wifi card

Well what do you have atm? WiFi 3/4?

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Well what do you have atm? WiFi 3/4?

Killer Wireless n/a/ac 1535 wireless network adapter so I believe wifi 4

31 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

Killer Wireless n/a/ac 1535 wireless network adapter so I believe wifi 4

AC is WiFi 5. That is a WiFi 5, dual band adapter with Bluetooth 4 point something. Only upgrade you could do would be to something with BT 5 or WiFi 6 which probably isn’t worth it .

I'm using 9560 with the same specs. I replaced my WiFi because at some point drivers broke down and auto-updated, so I couldn't roll back. It was reducing bandwidth to 2 - 4 mbps. Nothing could help so I just replaced with Intel WiFi.

Anyway. You need CNVi-compatible WiFi module and it should work fine.

54 minutes ago, Bombama said:

I'm using 9560 with the same specs. I replaced my WiFi because at some point drivers broke down and auto-updated, so I couldn't roll back. It was reducing bandwidth to 2 - 4 mbps. Nothing could help so I just replaced with Intel WiFi.

Anyway. You need CNVi-compatible WiFi module and it should work fine.

could u send a link to a adapter that fits?

On 3/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, MrConcrete04 said:

could u send a link to a adapter that fits?

Intel 8260. 

• 3 months later...

Can anyone suggest a good RAM replacement for XPS 9550?