High Playback speeds with MadVR makes frames repeat?

So I followed this tutorial to get Potplayer properly set up with MadVR;

Lately I've noticed that if I were to increase playback speeds to >1.8, frames would repeat. So the video will keep flashing frames from like a second ago, making it impossible to watch. However, some shows are so slow that 1.8x speed is not enough...

Does anyone know how this could be fixed? Are there specific settings known to cause this, or overwhelms PCs?

I'm using R5 1600, 16GB OC'ed ram, and 5700 XT, water cooled.

• 2 weeks later...

My tutorial is outdated, but even if you're using different settings that strain the system to the same level, I imagine there would be some overhead with processing. I don't believe the CPU nor the GPU are capable of running MadVR at some high NGU preset at 2x speed. For that, you'll have to use a player which doesn't apply any heavy post processing - like VLC. I'll probably make an updated version of a tutorial, making sure I account for people like you.

Kind regards,

LY

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, really appreciate the reply. Wanted to reply earlier but then did more non-rigorous tests/benchmarks and my conclusions kept changing... at some point I was pretty convinced it was not a performance issue, but "1.9x" and above was somehow special in software at some point in the chain, but then I tested a bit more and it seems this "1.9x" was only specific to anime for some reason. "IRL" tv shows can push much further, into ~2.xx speeds, even pretty high res/bitrate videos. However, there were also some old (low resolution and bitrate) shows that triggered it much earlier, at even ~1.4x. Maybe it has to do with the video's codec?

Also, using radeon firmware to monitor CPU and GPU usage, they don't seem to hit 100% when the frame repeats begin. The highest I've got from video playback was ~15% CPU and ~80% GPU. In fact, video playback speeds seem to have very little to do with CPU/GPU usage on my system. It's still correlated, but quite little. IDK if it's because at really high playback speeds, my system realises it can't keep up so it just discards a bunch of frames from rendering? Or it could be because the graph smooths out spikes where the load hits 100%?

Either way, appreciate the thought, looking forward to an updated guide and just let me know if you'd like me to run any specific tests :)