NEED HELP, Storage Compatabillity

cso1337

I have a Dell Poweredge with x6 2TB 7200rpm hdds, they're WD Black, would it work if i put one or 2 of these into my main pc for extra storage? I know that like ECC Ram cant be used in gaming rigs so is that the type of thing thats going on here or is it all the same

yes, any SATA storage device will be usable as normal in a different PC.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Ok, thank you, also they're configured in a RAID0 config i believe, can i just yeet one out of the server and throw it in while in that configuration or will it mess up main pc (i dont care about server i have nothing on it so i can reset whenever)

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Also i just took a caddy out and on it it says " Enterprise storage" is that still ok? also, it is SATA, but there is also a 8pin on it, is that just optional for the server? or unneseccary or whats up with that

9 minutes ago, cso1337 said:

they're configured in a RAID0 config i believe, can i just yeet one out of the server and throw it in while in that configuration or will it mess up main pc

The raid array will be lost when you remove one drive, but once it's removed it can just be formatted as a normal hard drive and so can the other one. 

7 minutes ago, cso1337 said:

Also i just took a caddy out and on it it says " Enterprise storage" is that still ok? also, it is SATA, but there is also a 8pin on it, is that just optional for the server? or unneseccary or whats up with that

The 8 pin on hard drives is the old format for slave and master jumpers, which are obsolete these days. Your PC won't have anything for that. "Enterprise" is just the fanciness of the drive, since WD Black is the more expensive line for the big boys. Still, it works the exact same way as the WD blues at the budget end.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, cso1337 said:

Enterprise storage, consumer storage, as long as it is sata, it will work

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The raid array will be lost when you remove one drive, but once it's removed it can just be formatted as a normal hard drive and so can the other one. 

The 8 pin on hard drives is the old format for slave and master jumpers, which are obsolete these days. Your PC won't have anything for that. "Enterprise" is just the fanciness of the drive, since WD Black is the more expensive line for the big boys. Still, it works the exact same way as the WD blues at the budget end.

3 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

Enterprise storage, consumer storage, as long as it is sata, it will work

Thank you guys, i really appreciate the help ❤️