Externally Powered USB vs New PSU?

NormanD

Hey there, I couldn't find this anywhere on the forums (likely due to its ridiculousness hah). I was hoping to get some advice or opinions on a decision im on the fence about. So when I built my rig few years back, my 450watt PSU was plenty. I've sense over the years as one would expect, upgraded my GPU and added more HDDS/SSD's, as well as plenty of extra USB peripherals. 

Which leads me to my current state of affairs, my PC has no problem with regular gaming or everyday usage. However I do find that if I turn on my desk fan, i'll get the chime from my machine as if something has been disconnected (no pop ups on screen tho of anything actually being disconnected). So I take that as a sign that the power supply in my PC is struggling or freaking out; something. 

So to remedy this I would obviously just upgrade my PSU, but then I thought about those externally powered USB 3.0 hubs. Would offloading the power draw of the all my USB peripherals from my PSU, onto an externally powered USB hub; be sufficient enough to ease the load on my PC? Granted a proper quality externally powered USB hub is in the ball park price range of a decent new PSU already.. but im just to lazy and dont have the free time to gut my PC and reconnect/cable manage the new PSU if I dont have to lol.

Any thoughts if this would work, perhaps someone has done this before? Thanks all!

Oh jeeze, I don't remember the brand. It was just an off the shelf at Staples. I built the PC around new years of 2016, so it just hit 4 years old.

What is that desk fan plugged into?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

The wall outlet plug, just above the plug with the powerstrip that the PC is using. Which I suspect has something to do with the initial sound from the computer when I turn the fan on.