What's Wrong with my CPU Socket?

The attached image is of my AM4 Socket kindly zoom in a bit to see the encircled spots and tell me what's wrong with them.

I am damn sure my socket has some issues.

PicsArt_02-23-02.14.11.jpg

It is normal that there are spots without holes. However, yours look really messy. Does your cpu run hot sometimes? To be honest, it looks melted to me. Or has a cpu ever been installed incorrectly, pushing the pins on those spots?90.jpeg.63ad122d28bd2e7501b3d9a16c0cfdd3.jpeg

Yes Due to incorrect installation of my CPU the pins got bent and that thing in the socket became a bit melty. Will I need to replace my motherboard as well?

Looks like three of these tabs have been "Twisted" with little dots poked in them because of the installation of the CPU being done wrong.  If the CPU never went in the socket there is no way the socket itself got hot because the CPU would not have worked.

All damage done was from attempting to force the CPU into the socket.

The OP will have to fix these tabs before trying it again, if the pins on the CPU itself can be straightened without breaking them it should be OK.

The above pic shows where the little gold arrow on one corner of the CPU should be when it's set in the socket, indicated by the yellow arrow at the top-left of the pic.

Believe it or not your problem is easy to fix, it will be harder to fix the CPU pins than it would be to fix the socket itself.

You can use a really small (Micro) pair of needle nose pliers, preferably a set with a curved/angled tip to get the socket cover tabs fixed. Just use them to twist and squeeze (Form) them back into shape and the CPU once it's done should go in without issue as long as the CPU itself has been fixed too - No need to remove the socket cover to do it.

Just know the CPU should have dropped in - NEVER try to force a CPU into a socket because this is what you get when you do along with definite damage to the CPU pins.

You can either fix the pins or just get another CPU and be done with it.

BTW there are plenty of "How to" vids and such on how to fix bent pins. Find and read these, try it if you want because you've nothing to lose at this point and it's entirely possible you'll get it fixed and working again without having to buy another chip.

Since the CPU now has bent pins you will most likely encounter a little resistance to the insertion of the CPU after you get them fixed, it's rare you'll ever get it back to where the CPU would just drop in again, esp if they are badly bent.

Insert the CPU carefully after the work is done and "feel" if it does have a side/spot not going in and if so - Stop!

Remove the CPU and check that area of the chip for further pin work.

You'll probrably have to fix pins a few times at least between installation attempts but once you get them all fixed it should go in.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.